hair loss :(

karpak
on 8/11/13 10:03 am - Canada

3 months after gastric bypass and have lost over 60 lbs and feeling great! all going very well, except am having problems with some hair loss, my hair is thin to begin with....am wondering if anyone has any thoughts on anything natural suppliment that i might be able to take that could help me out with that

kathkeb
on 8/11/13 11:16 am

It is a pretty common phenomena of anesthesia .... A few months after surgery there will be hair loss

Some 

people increase their protein, some try biotin

I

Just rode it out and my hair is thicker and heavier than ever

Kath

Laccygurl
on 8/11/13 1:07 pm - Paso Robles, CA
What she^^ said, the Biotin wont stop it from falling, but will help with regrowth. It may lession it some.

Laurie
Tracy D.
on 8/11/13 11:53 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I just talked to my hair guy on Friday.  There's a natural life cycle to hair:  it will fall out, it will go dormant, then it will grow back.  And surgery, extreme weight loss and hormone imbalance can kick off that falling out cycle.  

He said hair is "all about hormones" and that Vit D3 is actually a type of steroidal hormone...and a lot of people are deficient.  It's important that you are getting enough protein, vitamins, minerals, iron, etc.  Biotin won't stop it from falling out but will encourage re-growth.   

However, he said even under "best" cir****tances, if you start to lose hair after surgery it can take a good year for it to get back to where it was before the surgery. 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

wantanewme
on 8/12/13 10:32 am
VSG on 04/22/13

I am so glad you asked this question. I am almost 4 months out, and I have lost over 80 lbs. I am also experiencing this same thing. Every time I brush my hair, I get a brush full. I am noticing my hair is getting thinner, let alone the hairs on my clothing. I am taking 4 Fusion vitamins a day, but I was wondering if there was something else I could take?

(deactivated member)
on 8/13/13 1:30 am, edited 8/13/13 1:30 am

You can keep the hair attached to your head with frequent and expensive applications of Minoxidil available in any drugstore .. Is it worth it longterm ?  Probably not unless youre really embarassad by how noticeably thin Ur hair is becoming .   I suppose by using Nioxin shampoos and minoxidil several times a day you COULD keep the hair you have while the new stufgrows out ... eliminating the thinning hair look .. but it will be hugely expensive and a huge pain in the butt .

What I and many others have done is gotten a cute layered cut which fluffs up the hair and makes it look very thick .  Incidentally protein shakes and biotin made my hair grow out twice as thick as before and I NEVER had any problems with not having enough hair for three lol .  

You just might find yourthinning hair probems are over FOREVER a few months from now :) kiss

Member Services
on 8/13/13 2:40 am - Irvine, CA

We feel your pain  This is common, hang in there. It will grow back   

Most Active