Band revision to bypass??? Thoughts????

Christalov
on 8/26/13 10:29 pm - Elmira, NY

I had the lap band in May 2008; had a repair done in August 2011 for a hernia and scar tissue that were causing issues.  I went from 333 to 155; then when i had my issues went back up to 250....now i am back down to 214 but have run into a BIG issue!  My esophagus is now twice the size it should be!  So esophagus dilation.  They have now removed 1/2 of my fill, to see if esophagus will go back to normal.  They have advised that when/if they fill again, it will probably do the same thing and I should think about bypass (sleeve is not an option due to esophagus issues).  HELP......i don't know what to do...all i know is I don't want to gain this weight back!!!!  Thoughts????

Bette B.
on 8/26/13 11:13 pm

There a a lot of people who have revised to bypass. Have you posted on the revisions board?

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

poet_kelly
on 8/27/13 3:23 am - OH

I'm sorry you've had issues with the band.  Unfortunately, that's very common.  That's why some surgeons and hospitals, including the Mayo Clinic, no longer do lap band surgery - it's too dangerous and not very effective.

I would seriously consider revising to RNY.  I know it's a big decision.  You might want to come over to the RNY board and ask some questions, plus of course talk to your surgeon about the risks and benefits.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Linda_S
on 8/27/13 1:21 pm - Eugene, OR

Wow - I really think they should make the band illegal.  I have heard so many horror stories of the band eating into their body parts, causing so many problems.  Go for a revision.  Get that thing out of your innards.

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

Most Active