Starting to freak

bdaycakegirl
on 10/6/13 9:27 am

I have finished all my requirements, and am waiting on insurance and then get my date.

And I know it is NORMAL, but I am starting to freak out. Like I want to cry and throw up when I think too much about this, when before I just couldn't wait. I'm so scared all of a sudden! I don't want to be one of those people that winds up puking a lot, or feels sick a lot. Am I really going to do this? I'm so scared I am going to regret it.

hw: 311  cw:304  sw:???  gw:150

TurnThePage
on 10/6/13 9:47 am

Sit down and write out EXACTLY w why you think you might regret this and what your worries are. Be very specific. In a separate column, write out why you should not be worried about each item.  When you take the time to clearly articulate your fears, many of them evaporate. As for the others, if you will make an effort to address them, it is easier to overcome them. If necessary, research or ask questions that are troubling you.

Search weight loss forums like this one for the specific issues you've identified.

And/or call your doctor for anti-anxiety meds.

And/or make an appointment with a therapist specializing in weight loss issues.

Go to your surgeon's support group and air your fears. You'll find that others have been there/done that or will have suggestions.

This process is a lot of work and requires discipline, especially the weeks just before and just after surgery. But  when the weight begins to melt away, you are going to be thrilled and wonder why you didn't do it sooner!!

(deactivated member)
on 10/6/13 9:53 am - Greater Austin Area
VSG on 02/03/12

It is very normal to freak out. I was super excited and scared and nervous all rolled into one. I flew out for my surgery and as I was heading to the airport, I almost changed my mind. I was freaking out. I told my husband I was scared. I almost started crying and I almost called him to come pick me up from the airport before the flight left. But I remember talking to myself and telling myself I can do this. I can do this, I need to be healthy. This is the best thing for me and for my health. I obviously got on board the plane. The day of my surgery, I was super calm and at peace. You have to remember that this is for your health and the surgery will only take about an hour out of your life and it will change your life. Some people regret surgery for the first month, but it eventually goes away. Don't let your fears get in the way of having a healthier future. You would probably regret NOT doing it more than you would ever regret doing it!

bdaycakegirl
on 10/6/13 10:07 am

I am already on meds! Yikes! And  I do see a therapist now. I am going to talk about it at this week's sesson. I will make my list tonight after daughter goes to bed.  I am more worried about feeling sick later in life than surgery complications.

hw: 311  cw:304  sw:???  gw:150

Most Active