HELP!!!

vrmott
on 10/7/13 12:40 pm - Albany, GA

Hi I am a new old member. Before I wanted to get the lap band surgery but my insurance would not pay for it so it kinda like got put on back burner.  Fast forward to now I am EXTREMELY!!!! over weight I have a BMI of 100!!! my knees are hurt very bad and I am having a hard time breathing!!!! I dont know what to do ! I am still working but barely... I dont move around much because it hurt but I am noticing my health deminishing quickly!! can some one please help me ..... im searching for any kind of assistance.

MsBatt
on 10/7/13 1:22 pm

You dodged a bullet. The Band is pretty useless, especially for someone with a BMI of 100. I strongly suggest you research the Duodenal Switch. It hasw the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats for patients of any size, but especially so for those of us with a BMI greater than 50. It also has the best stats for resolving or preventing co-morbs like diabetes and high cholesterol

Hislady
on 10/7/13 2:03 pm - Vancouver, WA

With that high of a BMI the only surgery I would look at is the DS so go to dsfacts.com for more info, also check out the DS forum. The lap band is the very last thing you want, it has turned out to be a very big disappointment for most of us, it only works in 50% of the cases and by works it means you lost some weight. It could be as little as 5 lbs. They are also well known to erode into the stomach, tighten with no fills and cause all sorts of esophageal damage. They are also only good for 5-10 yrs per Allergan and Realize so not even a life long tool. Your insurance actually saved you from a bad experience with the band, I'm just sorry you have continued to gain. You may want to check out overeaters anonymous or see about counceling to find out why you continue to eat even tho you are in so much pain. Altho being in pain can cause us to comfort eat so like any addiction you need to work on the brain as well as the body because we can eat "around" any of the surgeies. Best of luck to you!

shoutjoy
on 10/7/13 9:20 pm - Culpeper, VA

Hi,

I have to agree that the band probably won't give you the success you want.  Research other types of weight loss surgeries.  You will find someone who is willing to be an advocate for you.  With a BMI that high, you need to act fast.  In the meantime, please seek the help of a Life Coach or someone who can help with the mental and emotional side that affects our choices and decisions.  Find a support group in your area if there is one.  Talk to everyone you can find that has knowledge in the area of obesity.  It doesn't hurt to get your support systems set up now and be working with them before deciding on a surgical procedure.  in fact, it's ideal.  I tell many that if we don't deal with the gray matter between our ears, our success is greatly reduced.  A lot of folks don't realize that our behaviors and decisions play a big part in how we eat.

Clueless about weight loss and weight loss surgery of any kind.

Zee Starrlite
on 10/8/13 2:31 am

Praise God you did not get a Lap Band.  You need a a vertical sleeve gastrectomy with duodenal switch.  Your BMI is way to high to chance success with any other surgery.  Don't let anyone convince you anything else.  This is as long as you are wholeheartedly willing to abide by your post-op lifestyle (vitamins etc.)

Is it possible to get on a hospital supervised diet to get your BMI down before surgery so that your post-op diet will not feel like a shock to you?  It is hard to believe that you can work out at all with a BMI of 100.

Oh Friend can I help you, listen to you, motivate you speak to you???

Let me know.  I can't imagine how you feel.  At max my BMI was 43 and I could not tolerate it at all.  I had an injury and was in pain all the time.

You will feel great once you release some of the weight and you can certainly do that before surgery.

All best,

L

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

vrmott
on 10/8/13 12:02 pm - Albany, GA

that would mean a lot  to me thanks for info im researching it now.....

Most Active