bed -- high or low during post op recovery?

playgirl
on 10/14/13 8:45 pm - boston, MA
VSG on 11/19/13

hi,

my surgery date is in 5 weeks, november 19.  i'm trying to figure out whether or not i need to get a bed frame for my bed during recovery after the surgery.  my mattress and box spring are currently on the floor, with no frame.  i like it this way for a variety of reasons, including that my feet touch the floor.  

will it be easier after surgery to get in and especially out of bed with it low to the ground so i can use my legs to get up or higher up on a bed frame or even extensions so i can pivot and swing my legs over the bed and try to get up without bending as much?  for how long can i expect getting out of bed to be difficult after surgery?  is it likely that i'll need assistance getting out of bed in an effort not to use my stomach muscles or is the pain not too bad?

thanks for any tips and suggestions you may have.

saterry
on 10/14/13 9:09 pm - IN
Revision on 10/03/13

I have slept on the couch and in our recliner for the last week.

I have only been able to sleep 3-4 hours a time.

I can NOT imagine trying to get up from the floor !

I would plan on a bed frame or sleeping in a recliner for a while.

Good luck on your journey !

SRVG 1997 SW 301   Revision to RNY 10/3/13 SW 247 GW 130  Ht 5'8

blopez579
on 10/15/13 2:52 am
RNY on 09/11/13

No way could I get up from floor level week 1-2!  Week three was a concentrated slow effort.  Dr. orders say no bending or stretching.

Thank goodness for the recliner!  if you don't have one, I'd seriously consider buying one.  without it, I wouldn't have slept for a week.  Just laying down on my back, or side was very painful.

playgirl
on 10/15/13 11:25 am - boston, MA
VSG on 11/19/13
On October 15, 2013 at 9:52 AM Pacific Time, blopez579 wrote:

No way could I get up from floor level week 1-2!  Week three was a concentrated slow effort.  Dr. orders say no bending or stretching.

Thank goodness for the recliner!  if you don't have one, I'd seriously consider buying one.  without it, I wouldn't have slept for a week.  Just laying down on my back, or side was very painful.

this is very helpful, thanks.  i guess getting in/out of my bed would be considered bending to a degree.  i'm going to get a bed frame for recovery then go back to my amazing low bed once i'm healed :)

i have a recliner, but it feels like something that would be very difficult to get in/out of after surgery (more than my bed for sure), so i'm planning to sit on something that's soft but firm and higher up.  

swtmelissa
on 10/15/13 4:49 am - West Allis, WI

I agree, you are going to be SORE, don't try to get up and down off of the floor.  Like others have said, I slept on the couch or a chair up rite I couldn't lay down for a good couple of weeks.  I think you can find some inexpensive frames at Sams Club or the Hardware store for around $40.00 if there is one near you.

mmmesser
on 10/15/13 9:24 am

I did a mattress on the floor but with the box and mattress and the type of bed...it was still a decent height but I didn't have problems.  I do have a nightstand though that I would lean on as I got up off the mattress.  I didn't have much pain really...it hurt worst to cough or sneeze than to get up and down...of course, I took my time and etc.  I had more problems with this after my gallbladder surgery and it was a monster to get up and down and had to put a table chair beside my bed to use to take my weight as I used my arms to help lift myself up because you can't use your stomach muscles.  I don't know your age and how well your body and muscles are...I'm on the younger side and have no problems with aches and pains anyway.  Good luck!

playgirl
on 10/15/13 11:30 am - boston, MA
VSG on 11/19/13
On October 15, 2013 at 4:24 PM Pacific Time, mmmesser wrote:

I did a mattress on the floor but with the box and mattress and the type of bed...it was still a decent height but I didn't have problems.  I do have a nightstand though that I would lean on as I got up off the mattress.  I didn't have much pain really...it hurt worst to cough or sneeze than to get up and down...of course, I took my time and etc.  I had more problems with this after my gallbladder surgery and it was a monster to get up and down and had to put a table chair beside my bed to use to take my weight as I used my arms to help lift myself up because you can't use your stomach muscles.  I don't know your age and how well your body and muscles are...I'm on the younger side and have no problems with aches and pains anyway.  Good luck!

thanks.  i'll be just a couple weeks shy of 49 when i have my surgery, so i'm starting to feel the aches and pains.

i'm glad to hear you didn't have much pain.  i'm hoping that's my experience too, as i dislike narcotics and really value good sleep.

i have a walker (no wheels) in storage from a decade ago when i was in a serious high-speed head-on collision.  i figured i'd pull it out to lean on when getting out of bed to further reduce the strain.

mmmesser
on 10/15/13 11:37 am

I think you might be ok and if not, you can plan accordingly when that problem presents itself.  Hopefully you have someone who lives with you (or who can stay a couple of days and nights) in case of complications.  You don't want to start bleeding out and get dizzy and fall and be by yourself.  So...make sure someone is there with you.  I don't think you will have any problems but it doesn't hurt the first few days out to just have someone there.  My parents came to stay with me for a few days so this made me feel safer to get up and down out of the bed as well without any additional setups.  No need to reply.  Good Luck!

(deactivated member)
on 10/15/13 11:42 am - Canada

You don't necessarily need a bed frame.  Paint cans will do for a temporary lift.  If you don't have any ask your friends...everyone has a can or two of paint laying around :)

playgirl
on 10/15/13 1:50 pm - boston, MA
VSG on 11/19/13
On October 15, 2013 at 6:42 PM Pacific Time, kekosmom wrote:

You don't necessarily need a bed frame.  Paint cans will do for a temporary lift.  If you don't have any ask your friends...everyone has a can or two of paint laying around :)

that's a really great idea!  i was trying to think of what else could be used.  unfortunately i live smack dab in the middle of the city, so i don't really know anyone with paint cans lying around.

last april, my ex had gastric bypass surgery.  between the two of us, we were able to round up enough milk crates (he's a tall guy) to lift my bed during his recovery.  i basically had to jump into the bed it was so high, LOL.  

it looks like i'm going to go in half on a bed frame with a friend who's interested in one.  i'll use it during recovery then give it to him to use after.  it seems like a nice win/win situation for us :)

Most Active