Newbie that's frustrated

WinterGrace
on 11/10/13 12:38 pm

I've been approved for a gastric bypass. The surgeon wants me to lose more weight before he operates (to make things as safe as possible.) I see different doctors for various illnesses. The scale at one doctor's office weighed me the same as my home scale ~ saying that I'd lost 33 pounds. ONE WEEK later I saw a different doctor and her scale weighed me 14 pounds more! I spoke to the surgeon's nurse, and she basically scolded me. She said that I probably can't lose anymore weight. My surgeon is attending a conference this week, and he plans to ask his colleagues what they would advise. I truly haven't gone off my diet and I exercise every day. I'm very discouraged and wondering if I'll ever get to have the surgery.

I have excessive edema, and I know that it can add on weight. No one seems to take that into consideration. 

Also, I know that I cannot be the largest person to ever have a gastric bypass. Why is it such a challenge for me? I'm very afraid of having the surgery since I haven't been able to lose the extra weight.

Any suggestions, ideas or words of comfort?

Luvs2Cruise
on 11/10/13 2:34 pm, edited 11/10/13 2:34 pm
VSG on 10/30/13

Have you gone back to your surgeons office to ask them to actually weigh you?  My surgeon's office only took the weight at their office as my "official" weight.  It didn't matter what the heck the scale said at home or at another doctor's office.

VSG on 10/30/13 Surgeon: Erik Throop    "There are plenty of difficult obstacles in your path. Don't allow yourself to become one of them." ~ Ralph Marston

HW: 447 YIKES!!!! SW: 293  CW: 140 GW:140?  100% on Plan -100% of the time!!!

Losses by Months: (5' 1") WL Pre-Op-154  M1-28​, M2-12, M3-18, M4-15, M5-14.5, M6-13.5, M7-10, M8-13, M9-14, M10-10, M11-1 (What the heck??)  M12-4as of today's date     

ChristinaDeguzman21
on 11/10/13 4:46 pm

I too have to drop weight to make things as as safe as possible.  It is my understanding that it has to do with the Liver.  Although you may have to weigh at each Dr.s appt. focus on the Surgeon's scale.  All scales can yield different results.  I believe your surgeon will guide you when you see him next.  Do not listen to the nurse.  The surgeon's expertise is what matters.

I have to loose 50 lbs before surgery can take place.  I will be weighing in at my surgeon's office every 30 days.  My PCP asked me to step on the scale the other day and I simple asked her how crucial it was and explained that I'd prefer to only weigh in on the surgeons scale.  She had no problem letting me wait.

Best Wishes,

Christina

MsBatt
on 11/10/13 10:47 pm

Christina, please read what I wrote to the OP about the DS. It applies to you, too.

MsBatt
on 11/10/13 10:45 pm

There are surgeons who have successfully operated on patients over 800 pounds. You might want to get a second opinion.

I don't know what your BMI is, but you talk like it's pretty high. I urge you to research a form of WLS called the Duodenal Switch. The DS has the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats for patients of ANY size, but especially so for those of us with a BMI greater than 50. It's also the best at resolving or preventing co-morbs like diabetes and high cholesterol. Most DS surgeons understand that morbidly obese people have a really hard time losing weight, and don't require a pre-op weight loss.

Mary Catherine
on 11/11/13 12:08 am

Since you surgeon's scale was the same as your home scale, are you also fourteen pounds heavier on your home scale.  My home scale and surgeon's scale are the same, the scale at my PCP is always about two pounds higher.

If you did gain fourteen pounds in a week, it does sound like edema.  They should be able to treat that.  Good luck with your mission to have surgery.  I found that the part of getting ready was the hardest part of the whole journey.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 11/11/13 3:55 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Silly thought, perhaps, but can you bring your home scale with you to the doctor's office so they can see you on their scale and yours at the same time? Maybe it would show any mechanical discrepancy and give you some credibility.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active