I've lost 140lbs!

Lauren Vento
on 12/4/13 7:44 am - Lake Elsinore, CA
VSG on 09/08/12

Before:After:

My ticker wont update... LOL

Now, I have a question for you all!  I'm doing some research on mental health and weight loss.  If you could give any advice to someone who is preparing for weight loss surgery, what would you suggest they do MENTALLY to make sure they are successful?

Certified Life Coach & WLS Support Coach

Tracy D.
on 12/4/13 8:29 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Lauren - wow!   You have done an amazing job.  Beautiful :-)

To answer your question:  people need to get into therapy, identify triggers and work on developing other coping skills BEFORE surgery.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Ladytazz
on 12/4/13 3:57 pm

You are beautiful!  Great job.

I really feel that surgeons should require evaluation and if necessary treatment for eating issues before surgery.  They wouldn't give an alcoholic a new liver without addressing their drinking problem.  I think some may feel that WLS will cure their eating issues.  I know I thought that before my first WLS.  What I learned is that it helps me not to practice those destructive patterns but only if I acknowledge them and put effort into not eating the way I did before I had surgery.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Patm
on 12/4/13 10:13 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

You look amazing. I also agree with the first two posters. They did surgery on our bodies not our minds. So the same eating issues were there after surgery as before. I know for me it will be a life long battle but having some coping skills is helping

Miss Liss
on 12/4/13 10:36 pm

I am almost 10 years out.  My best advice would be to start therapy right out of the gate from having surgery.  Surgery is on the stomach not the brain, and my weight issues definitely were psychological as far as food goes.  I realized the emotional side of things a few months out and got myself a good therapist and made sure I went to support group every month.  So far, so good.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1139 views