Lapband success after 7 years

mitlove2003
on 12/23/13 10:12 pm - Clayton, DE
Im looking for feedback from any successful lapband patients that have had their band for 7 years or more
Member Services
on 12/24/13 12:18 am - Irvine, CA

Try posting this on the LAP-BAND Forum for more responses.

Happy Holidays,

Member Services

Kate -True Brit
on 12/24/13 12:50 am - UK

Seven years and seven months. Below goal since August 2007.  Few short lived weight gains, dealt with fairly easily.  Only problem was a leak at around four years, successfully repaired.  No other problems.  Believe it or not (and many don 't ) there are quite a lot of us around.  I live a totally normal life, can eat all foods. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

mitlove2003
on 12/24/13 6:45 am - Clayton, DE
Ok, this makes me feel better. Every time I say something about the band, the feedback is negative. Glad to find someone else that is successful
Kate -True Brit
on 12/24/13 10:07 am - UK
On December 24, 2013 at 2:45 PM Pacific Time, mitlove2003 wrote:
Ok, this makes me feel better. Every time I say something about the band, the feedback is negative. Glad to find someone else that is successful

When I was banded back in  2006  (like you, I think) we were led to believe banding was for life and works for almost everyone. I don't think we were being lied to! But the "experts" got it wrong. There are many more complications and many more serious problems than at first appeared. Some are, IMO , the fault of the bandster. Many aren't. 

When I post this I get called a liar! But it is still true that of those bandsters I know in real life, the vast majority have not had serious problems.  Some have not lost as much weight as they hoped but most are still banded and most have had only minor problems, if any. 

Some of those I knew years ago are no longer in contact with me and so I have no idea how they are now. For example, I met seven bandsters when I was in the US in 2008. Of those, I am still in contact with three and they are still banded and still happy with their bands.  One lady sadly died, NOT from band related issues, the others were happy three years ago but I have not heard from them since.

Of the UK bandsters I have met, only two have had their bands removed but, again, I am no longer in touch with all of them. But I still meet new vets. Last visit to my doctor, (annual, routine), I chatted to three women also waiting. Two of them had been banded longer than me (8 years), the other had been banded 5 years. 

I am making no claims that the band is trouble free, safe etc.. But I am saying that in my personal experience it works for many people.  My own surgeon works for the National Health Service and so is salaried not making any profit from surgery. He does the band, VSG and RNY. (Not VSG in2006, but now). He still does bands and when I asked him last year about long term outcomes his words were that my experience is not uncommon and that he still believes it to be a good option.

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

poet_kelly
on 12/24/13 3:26 am - OH

You won't find many.  Most end up needing their band removed or replaced by that time.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Bette B.
on 12/24/13 3:55 am

Just passed my tenth anniversary and am maintaining a 167-170 pound loss.

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

mitlove2003
on 12/24/13 6:50 am - Clayton, DE
Yyaayyyy!!! So happy to find someone with 10 year's. Everytime I mention lapband I get all negative feedback
Nic M
on 12/24/13 4:52 am

There aren't too many successful lapband patients around, unfortunately.  I had the Lap Band done about 10 years ago, removed about 8 years ago. (Although the last two days I've sure had reminders that I HAD a band... left shoulder pain STILL, even this many years after removal ... darned nerve damage takes forever and a day to heal.) 

Even most of the successful bandsters have had corrective surgeries... just part of the package, I guess. 

Do you have a band? If so, how are you doing? Hope you're one of the more fortunate ones. 

mitlove2003
on 12/24/13 6:52 am, edited 12/24/13 6:53 am - Clayton, DE
I've had my band since June 2006. It slipped in Jan of this year and I got it fixed. I lost 178 pounds. No other issues..
Most Active