Surgery Jan 28th excited and scared

Meintraining
on 1/2/14 10:40 am

Hello all!!! I had pre-op today. I'm so excited and scared to death too. I keep thinking about how I will cope with not being able to eat at night. What have you done to replace the addiction of eating?

Member Services
on 1/2/14 11:22 am - Irvine, CA
Suzi S.
on 1/3/14 12:59 am - Houston, TX
RNY on 01/14/13

Congrats!  I'm almost a year of surgery and understand your concern completely.  Unlike now, after surgery most of your hunger pains will be "head hunger".  So I would recommend that you think about counseling.  Additionally, if you are anything like me you might eat out of boredom and stress.  Therefore, I would recommend that you find something to take occupy your mind.  I can go all day without eating if I'm busy, but find I'm starving when I'm bored.  TV doesn't seem to provide enough of a distraction for me at night, so I would recommend that you find something that will.  Take a class, read a book, or pick out a new hobby....needlepoint, painting, model building, etc.  Recently, my husband and I took up playing backgammon and the time seems to fly.   One last recommendation, before you eat anything at night (or outside of your regular meals) drink 20 ounces of water and wait 30 minutes.  If you are still hungry, have something on your recommended list of foods. 

Good luck!!!! 

RNY:  1/14/2013, HW:  220, SW: 207, CW:  182.8, GW:  125

MsBatt
on 1/3/14 3:56 am

Well, I do eat at night. I chose the DS, and I eat every 2.5-3 hours, all day long. As long as I eat high-protein, high-fat foods, my DS does the rest.

4aLHSMe
on 1/3/14 1:26 pm - VA

My surgery is the 30th and I feel the exact same way and had the same question going around in my head! Thanks for posting . I don't have my preop until next week, did they have you start on the liver reduction diet yet? - Good luck to you and lets stay in touch. 

Most Active