Protein powder

KellyH67
on 1/5/14 12:36 am - Richmond, VA
VSG on 02/19/14

Is one the same as the next?  Are the protein drinks the same, too?  I've seen Muscle Milk, whey protein powder, Six Starr Protein powder, Special K protein drinks....is there a "magic" number I should look for with so much protein in each serving?  Sugar?  Carbs?

I don't have my nutrition class until Jan. 23rd.  But if this stuff is relatively the same, then now's the time to buy when there are a ton of coupons and sales on this week.  :-)

THANKS!!

"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection.  Excellence I can reach for.  Perfection I leave up to God."  Michael J. Fox

Member Services
on 1/5/14 1:38 am - Irvine, CA

Hi KellyH67,

It's a good idea not to stock up on too much of one thing. What you like now, taste wise may change after your surgery. Your taste buds will be off kilter for a bit (ask about this in class).  Try to get samples and then once you have the surgery try the samples and then buy more once you find you still like the taste.

Keep us posted on your journey!

Regards,

Member Services

The Salty Hag
on 1/5/14 1:49 am, edited 1/5/14 1:50 am
RNY on 05/20/13

Under 200( I think ) calories, between 20-30 g of protein and as little carbs and sugar as possible per servng is what was suggested by my dietician. ( I don't remember fat content, but it was low. )

Popular brands among RNY post-ops ( not sure about other types of WLS or if it matters ) seem to be Unjury and Syntrax. They both have the calories, fat content, carbs and sugars we look for. RNY post-ops best absorb whey protein isolate. We do not absorb collagen or pea protein well because they aren't complete proteins. 

I used Choco-rite and Jay Robb  whey protein powders, and I used Isopure RTD drinks. ( fruity flavored clear protein drinks. ) 

I would DEFINITELY stay away from the Special K drinks-they are full of carbs and sugars, and low on protein. 

Hope this helps! 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

poet_kelly
on 1/5/14 3:49 am - OH

No, they are not all the same.  Not even close.  They have different tastes, different amounts of protein and sugar, etc.  I would look for one with at least 20 grams protein per serving and no more than a few grams of sugar.  My favorite is Syntrax Nectar cappuccino flavor, which has 100 calories per scoop, with 23 grams protein and no sugar.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Lexicon
on 1/5/14 3:54 am - Madison, NJ

My doc/nut gave guidelines that our powder should be under 150cal per serving (2 servings a day to get 64-80grams of protein) and under 5carbs per serving. I did a lot of research and most brands range from 4.2-4.7 calories per gram of protein. A decent amount of brands are fat free and under 1 carb as well.  He also specified that we will absorb protein best from whey isolate protein.  So I ended up buying a Whey isolate powder that's 100calories for 25grams of protein, fat free, sugar free, carb free. I just use a scoop and a half and shake it with water.

Every plan is different though, your doc might have specific guidelines for you that won't match up to what I'm saying or whatever you bought on sale.  Personally, I'd rather miss a sale and pay full price to ensure I'm getting the best protein powder that my doc/nut recommend (I have pretty hair and don't want it to fall out!). If you buy stuff before being told what the guidelines are, make sure it's returnable.

TeachersOnlyPet
on 1/5/14 8:26 am

For me, Unjury Protein is hands down better than anything else I have used.  I mixes well and tastes wonderful.  I hope you find something that works for you and that you enjoy.

Tony T.
on 1/9/14 5:18 am - MN
RNY on 01/02/13

Syntha 6 Whey Isolate IMO is the best tasting protein on the planet.

Most Active