Dizzy Light Headed? Any Thoughts?

onebigcelt
on 1/8/14 10:38 pm - midlothian, VA
RNY on 11/22/13

I seem to get dizzy or light headed in the morning. Is this the lack of calories or a need for protein? I have heard different things. I am 7 weeks out and I have not found my "ZIP" yet and I really  to get back to vigorous exercise I just don't have the desire to do it yet. Any thoughts how to get the energy I need to get going? I am working out some but not at the intensity I want.

Mary Catherine
on 1/8/14 10:49 pm

It is most likely lack of exercise.  Start doing something in the morning.  Maybe lay in bed and do a bicycle exercise with your legs in the air. 

Your heart is used to pumping for a bigger body and the whole thing gets lazy as the weight goes down rapidly.  Blood tends to pool in the lower legs leaving you dizzy and light headed.   You don't need vigorous exercise, just enough to get the old blood moving.  This will all even out again soon.

onebigcelt
on 1/8/14 11:03 pm - midlothian, VA
RNY on 11/22/13

I want to do vigorous exercise. I had been taking martial arts and I am close to my black belt. I have been swimming 30 mins with fins on... pretty vigorous but I need to get back on the matt. We do a lot of rolling and falling. Standing up and down and the light headedness is going to be a problem. Trying to figure when I can get back to my normal level of activity.

Carrie Q.
on 1/8/14 10:57 pm
RNY on 11/04/13

Obviously I'm not a medical expert, but I struggled with not feeling well for the first couple weeks and for me, it was hydration and protein.  I was really struggling for several weeks to get the balance right.  Once I did, especially the hydration part and started with vitamin supplements, I felt a lot better.  

I have been really active (walking, etc.) the whole time post surgery, even in the hospital, but I've just started formal workouts in the past week or so (I'm 8 weeks post op).  I do still find that my energy is lower than normal and I can't go through a complete "normal" hour or so workout routine, especially cardio workouts, but I can get to about 30 minutes at pretty decent intensity.  Part of the energy thing is just time I hear, but my doc said to also make sure that I am replacing the water that I am sweating and taking in enough calories and lean protein to sustain the intensity of whatever workouts I'm doing.  I guess the bottom line for me was to make sure I take in more than 64 oz of fluid on workout days (as much as possible really) and keep a negative calorie intake (to burn fat) without under-eating.

I totally get the frustration with feeling tired though!  I feel great and forget that it has only been two months since I had major surgery and my body is still healing internally even though all the external stuff is gone.  Even though I sometimes feel tired, I still workout, it just may be walking instead of my T25 workout or I may do lighter free weights with a few more reps instead of a full weight circuit workout.  I'm all about trial and error!  If you get any good tips on your post, definitely let me know...

Hope that helps and congrats on your weight loss.  100+ pounds is amazing!

diane48
on 1/9/14 12:12 am
RNY on 05/07/13

Staying at the 64 oz. of fluid did not work work for me.  I was lightheaded much of the time, especially upon standing and moving a lot.  I found that if I took in an extra bottle of water, especially first thing in the morning, I felt much better.  With all of your activity, you may need more also. 

Grim_Traveller
on 1/9/14 8:21 am
RNY on 08/21/12
On January 9, 2014 at 8:12 AM Pacific Time, diane48 wrote:

Staying at the 64 oz. of fluid did not work work for me.  I was lightheaded much of the time, especially upon standing and moving a lot.  I found that if I took in an extra bottle of water, especially first thing in the morning, I felt much better.  With all of your activity, you may need more also. 

This. I passed out after standing a few times. Hydration, salt, electrolytes all help. Ignore the 64 ounce rule. Some folks, especially us big boys, need more.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

julesreynard
on 1/9/14 1:01 am

I'm 7 weeks out too(Nov 20th)!  I got dizzy and light-headed, called the surgeon about it and they said it was dehydration.  They were right.  Working harder to get my fluids in now.

onebigcelt
on 1/9/14 1:02 am - midlothian, VA
RNY on 11/22/13

Yikes I drink all the time! The no eating and drinking is hard enough

julesreynard
on 1/9/14 1:28 am

I know what you mean, it's not easy.

Ashley in Belgium
on 1/9/14 3:23 am - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

It's likely dehydration. Try sipping water before getting out of bed and I found in the early weeks drinking a protein shake or protein coffee helped tons. At 5 months out I still get shakey if I haven't had enough protein or water every few hours.  Hang in there it does get better!

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

Most Active