4 months after RNY I have an ulcer

Amymay2
on 1/29/14 7:34 pm

I have been in a lot of pain for a few months. At first they thought it was my gallbladder but it wasn't so I got my scope  done yesterday ,by my surgeon. She said you have an ulcer gave me 2 prescriptions. Would this cause pain and throwing up, as I can't eat solid foods, I have been stuck on stage 3. Any advise or anyone has this before.

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/29/14 8:45 pm, edited 1/29/14 8:45 pm

Just try to take it easy. Google "ulcer friendly diet". 

When I deal with that I try to avoid most acidic foods, nothing really hot, or really cold. Follow the doc recommendation and don't stop when the pain goes away. It may take up to 2-4 months to heal it completely.  My pain would go away after 2-3 weeks and I could eat more,  but if I did not continue the treatment - the ulcer and pain returned.   

I had to be on antacids for app 4 years post op RNY (once as day - generic omeprozole) because every time I tried to get off my pouch would get sensitive. 

After the whole treatment - I needed to slowly tamper down the meds - to protect the pouch.  Anytime when stopping PPI - there may be "rebound effect" when the body starts producing more acid - so tempering that slowly - was critical for me.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Amymay2
on 1/30/14 6:19 am

Thank you for your advice, I will follow it ,as I want the pain to stop, and would like to eat solids. It lets me know that it will get better!

bob-haller
on 1/30/14 11:25 am - Pittsburgh, Pa

are you a SMOKER? If so quit ASAP. Smoking causes very hard to treat ulcers that tend to reoccur:( Thats why my surgeon would test for tobacco use, and cancel surgery if the test was positive.

Amymay2
on 1/30/14 11:34 am

No I don't smoke.

Most Active