Can gastric bypass patients be vegetarians or vegans?

jaifra78
on 2/12/14 8:17 am
RNY on 04/16/14

I am very interested in both of these diets.  I am not really sure how it would work after the bypass or if its even possible. If It isnt possible to be a vegan than I at least would want to be a vegatarian. anyone with input is welcome thanks :)

Grim_Traveller
on 2/12/14 8:22 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Of course it's possible. You'll just have to study and work a little harder to make sure it works, at least at first, but many do.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

poet_kelly
on 2/12/14 8:44 am - OH

i hope it's possible because I've been a vegetarian for almost 30 years and I had gastric bypass five years ago!  Of course it's possible.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

jaifra78
on 2/12/14 9:16 am
RNY on 04/16/14

what did you eat right after sugery and can you give me a list of foods that would be good thanks

poet_kelly
on 2/12/14 9:20 am - OH

Well, the first week I was on full liquids, and I had protein shakes, yogurt, sugar free pudding and sugar free jello.

The second week I was on pureed foods and I had mashed potatoes, unsweetened applesauce, refried beans and ricotta cheese with spaghetti sauce on it.  Plus the stuff from full liquids.

Then I was on soft foods for a month and I had cooked veggies, soft fruits like bananas, beans of all kinds, cheese, egg salad, cheese omelets, vegetarian chili (made with Morningstar Farms soy crumbles instead of ground beef), veggie burgers, and a lot of the stuff I ate on the pureed diet.

After I was moved to a regular diet, I added things like raw veggies, salad, other fruits like apples and grapes, and nuts.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Valerie G.
on 2/12/14 9:29 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Vegan may be tricky, but not impossible.  Just keep in mind that all veggies and grains hold carbs, and finding something that is not from animals that contains enough protein to sustain your health is difficult.  If you at least allow dairy and eggs, I don't see a problem with that.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Scribbler
on 2/12/14 11:01 pm

I know a RNY patient very well, who is vegetarian! She simply doesn't like meat... just doesn't care for the taste, or something. She gets her proteins from beans, tofu, nuts, whole grains, and loads of kefir and Greek yogurt, which she makes herself at home from pastured milk, I guess there's a little kit you can use to make that. She also makes her own granola and formulates it to her needs. She doesn't take protein powders, at all. And she's a healthy weight, too! I think it takes more work for her to maintain her healthy diet, and she stays up to date on her bloodwork and bone scans and all that... but yes it can be done. I do think she suffers from carb cravings and fights the urge to binge - but I don't know if that's something from "before". It's something to think about and be aware of, going forward.

Oh, and she's retired, so she has time for all this work! With my schedule, I don't know if I could be as diligent. Her only advice was "you really gotta stay on top of what you're eating".

~~ VSG February 4, 2014 ~~ 30lb. lost since surgery ~~
~~ you will never regret not eating something ~~
~~if you're light enough, you just might be able to fly~~
~~nothing tastes as good as skinny feels~~
HW: 303 || SW: 255 || CW: 225 || GW: 120 || UGW: 105

computers_n_sneaker
s

on 2/12/14 11:14 pm

Search the site for Dr Garth Davis.  He was the surgeon on the TV series Big Medicine which was about weight loss surgery. 

He recommends not eating meat and advocates vegan lifestyle. 

jaifra78
on 2/13/14 3:17 am
RNY on 04/16/14

thanks for all the info :)

Most Active