Nail biter, reformed!

mustlovepoodles
on 3/2/14 4:05 am
VSG on 12/31/13

I know I caught a lot of flack back in Dec for admitting that I bite my nails.  I have bitten my nails since I was 15 months old, according to my mother, and I'm 57 years old now. I knew all the reasons for NOT biting nails and all the health issues (I'm a nurse, so...) None of that mattered. I bit my nails to quell anxiety and boredom and I enjoyed it.

Well, I took my last bite of nail the day after surgery, 1/1/14.  I tried biting and spitting out the nail but found that unsatisfying. This sounds awful, but I really liked the action of biting AND chewing up the nail.  I decided after the first few bites that I didn't want to risk having little tiny shards of nails stuck in the staple line in my stomach, so I resolved not to bite. I'm sure the post-op drugs helped because I no longer felt compelled to bite my nails. Once I got about 7 days along I found a big emery board and started smoothing down the edges several times a day.  Huh!  That felt pretty good!  Even though the nails were pretty small, I got a manicure with the idea that I need to make this a big deal in my head, if I want to be successful.

Holy cow!  My nails are growing like nobody's business!   I guess I have to thank my multivitamins and calcium for that. I was originally thinking that I'd have acrylics placed once the nails grew out a little but they're so hard and strong that I think I'm just going to keep growing them out. I'm just bowled over with these nails.  It's like I can't stop looking at them, LOL.  My DD doesn't remember a time when I had fingernails. She suggested I get gel nails, which would just be my own nails with the special gel color.  So, I'm off in a bit to get my monthly pedicure AND ask about the gel nails!

HW: 229 ; SW: 208 (-21);  GW: 125

Wt. Loss:   M1: 189 -(19)  M2: 178 (-11)  M3: 172 (-5)  M4: 170 (-2)  M5: 166 (-4)

Member Services
on 3/2/14 4:48 am - Irvine, CA

Most Active