Starting my journey

Poohkieboo
on 3/19/14 11:16 am

Hi Everybody, I'm going in for my orientation for WLS Tuesday. I'm so scarred I'll be making the wrong decision. I need to lose about 110 lbs. I've come close to my goal weight a couple times before but have always gained it back. Now I need to have knee replacement surgery in the next couple years due to severe arthritis and it's difficult to walk. I'm older now (52) and it's a lot harder for me to lose weight. My dr. won't even think of the knee surgery till I'm under a 35 BMI. I'm at a 42 now. How did you finally make the decision to go ahead with your WLS? I really could use some support. 

luxurycouture
on 3/19/14 11:38 am

Hit here! I am a newbie in this process too! I went to an orientation seminar today and it was very informative and quite interesting! 

My first appointment with the surgeon isn't until April 24th. If all goes well and I get all of the approval from the insurance company and doctors, I will absolutely go through with it. I have struggled with obesity for my whole life and I feel that getting the surgery is my only hope to better my quality of life and avoid weight related health issues as I get older.

You have to do what is best for you, but attending an informational seminar is a great first step!

Best of luck! 

Life is what happens to you while you?re busy making other plans. ?John Lennon

Poohkieboo
on 3/19/14 11:50 am

Thank you so much! Best wishes to you too 

Sunlitcbreeze
on 3/20/14 12:30 am - Wareham, MA

Good Morning,

I am so glad I  ran by this post, I have been looking for something like this or getting ready to post one myself. So many of these post are about after surgery and not before. I too am older(48), I have been disabled for 15 years with arthritis is my spine and other issues including Diabetes. I have thought about and researched the surgery for about a year, I have a couple of friends that have had various forms Lap, sleeve and By-pass.  I decided the sleeve was best for me. The one thing that they told me was make sure I was 100% ready because this journey is life long and it is not easy, more so if you have doubts. I think I am a bit future along than both of you but not by much. I just did my Steps for Success program which is what and how the surgery, diet and after surgery will go and started to implement some of the strategies. which are the best protein, vitamins and what you can eat and what not to.  I know I'm being long winded so good Luck to all of us. I think if we have made it to this stage I believe we are ready.

Colleen O.
on 3/20/14 2:00 am
VSG on 04/09/14

Hi there.  My surgery is in 3 weeks and I'm so excited!  I think you've made the case for surgery in your post - you've lost a lot of weight in the past but have always gained it back.  I KNOW I can lose the weight without surgery.  I've done it before and I'm doing it now (46lbs lost since 1/1) but I have never been able to stick to a good eating plan long enough to keep the weight off.  I always regain and then add at least a few more pounds.  I'm going into surgery with the idea that it will be a great tool for me to use to maintain my weight loss down the road.  It will be my tool for losing the weight a little bit quicker than I would on my own and for keeping it off!  I know it will still be a challenge and I will have to stick to my lifestyle changes for the rest of my life.  I just want a little boost from that tool.

HW: 387 (12/13)  ConsultW: 383 (12/13)  SW: 321 (4/9/14)  CW: 234.6 (10/19/14)

Poohkieboo
on 3/20/14 4:00 am

Thank you so much for sharing. I'm right there with ya". I don't have the option to lose weight and gain it back again. I love how you said this is a tool to use down the road. That's when I'm going to need it!!! Best of luck to you. Please let me know how you are doing.

LessHumid
on 3/20/14 4:22 am - Baltimore, MD
RNY on 09/18/14

Congratulations on taking the first step.  Sometimes that can be the most difficult one.  I'm currently in month three of the six month supervised sessions with a nutritionist(luckily that's all included in the program)... I digress. I'm a 35yo male with a BMI of 54(I'm jealous of your 42).  I come from a long line of "big" people.  I swore up and down that I would never have surgery to lose weight. My mother had the duodenal switch in 1992 and had nothing but complications until her death in 2008. Thankfully the surgeons at University of Maryland do not offer that any longer.  After neigh on too many failed diets and exercise programs, resulting in me putting on more weight and my health rapidly declining, the decision for me was easy.  I want to live not just exist. This realization came to me last year but not having insurance offered by my employer ultimately delayed the process(thanks ACA!).  It's a long row to hoe but it'll be worth it in the long run. That said, only you will be able to make the decision as to have surgery or not.  Trust and believe, when you know you're ready, you really know!

Best of luck,

Harry

PJGreen
on 3/21/14 5:07 am

Hi,  Wow!  I am right there with you.  I go to my first consultation on Tuesday the 25th also and like you I go back and fourth asking if I should do this?  I have wanted to do this for years but my insursance would not cover it.  Luckily my Dad decided to give me the funds from my future inheritance once he passes away to cover the surgery.  Like you I have dieted and excercised for years only to eventually gain it back plus some.  I just really need to be healthy.  I am 52 like you and I have arthritis in most of my joints.  And I'm sure you've heard some of the horror stories and so you ask yourself are you better off overwight or living with whatever complications that could possibly occur from having WLS? 

I'm looking for a WLS buddy/friend to share stories and experiences with and so let me know if you need a friend for additional support.  I suggest that you go to your orientation/consultation and listen to what they say and than make the best decision for you.  Hang in there and I wish you all the best!!!! 

PJ 

Sunflower1
on 3/21/14 10:07 am
with

I went to seminar for the 2nd time last week.  Went years ago to find out my insurance didn't cover the surgery.  Now it does!  I have an appt with the doctor or April 8 and nervous & excited @ the same time.  This is a major life change!  I've lost weight and gained it back so many times, I'm going to be 50 in December & want to be a healthy 50.  I'm going to follow this site & follow this through!!!!

Most Active