Dry Heaves a Month after DS

theamazingtif
on 3/24/14 6:27 am - Rockwall, TX

A few days ago my occasional gagging got worse and has developed in to dry heaving a few times a day. I'm really hoping this is something that goes away on its own. This isn't serious, right????

Member Services
on 3/24/14 12:54 pm - Irvine, CA

If you have not done so, please post this on the DS forum to reach out to those that have had your surgery.

Duodenal Switch Forum (DS)

MsBatt
on 3/25/14 6:04 am

I never had a problem with this, but I've seen several people post that they did and it stopped almost magically about 4-6 weeks out. Have you talked to your surgeon?

Valerie G.
on 3/29/14 11:41 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

My guess is probably dehydration for the heaves, and possibly what you eat or how fast you eat it for the gagging.  Potatoes, for some reason, make me very uncomfortable if I eat them too quickly.  Dehydration causes nausea, though, which is very common early out.  Be sure you're getting in 64oz of fluids minimum every day.  A run to the doc for an IV could get you feeling better too

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

theamazingtif
on 3/30/14 1:34 am - Rockwall, TX

Thank you Valerie!  My Doc thinks it's just a side effect I'm going to have to get through. I'm on Zofran. It helps but doesn't take it all away. Adding more water can't hurt. 

Of course, I hit my stall this week too. Joy!!

Most Active