what's TRX

glady
on 3/27/14 11:16 pm

I joined the YMCA today so I can take yoga but because of my schedule I can only take one a week. There is TRX available but I have no idea how it works. I'm pretty much starting from zero with the exercise stuff and so I dont want to go over my head. Has anyone tried TRX. PROS CONS?

12/30/13-RNY SW-277 GW-140  

Day_dream_believer
on 3/28/14 2:11 am

It is strength training using your body weight and a set of ropes suspended from a bar or ceiling.  It utilizes your core muscles.  The good thing is that all fitness levels can do it because how you position your body determines how hard you work.  If you try it make sure you have a good instructor that can watch your form.  From what I understand it is easy to do it incorrectly.  I did TRX  with a trainer at my gym last year.  It was a tough workout, but very versatile.  I stopped doing it because I injured myself.  I don't know if it was from the TRX or something else. 

dahoodman
on 3/28/14 10:58 am - VA
RNY on 03/26/13

I did TRX with a trainer and I would suggest that you either ask for a demo from someone at the Y or you get a personal trainer if they are available there. I really recommend the personal trainer. In fact, the gym I went to, the personal trainers were the only ones that had access to the TRX equipment. Just like anything, if you do it wrong, you could hurt yourself. It was a great workout while I was doing it. Great strengthening exercises and really gets and keeps your heart rate up too. I didn't find any cons other than I needed a trainer but I am one to appreciate that but would like to have done it without one after I had learned to do it. The PROs are that if you are one that does not like to run/jog/step wear yourself silly trying to bike or do elliptical stuff, this is a great alternative for getting your heart rate up, keeping it up and really getting a great workout. 

[Highest: 303] [Surgery Day: 295] [Current: 199.8] [Goal: 180][To Go: 19.8[Height: 5' 8"]

I have a tendency to wear my mind on my sleeve   

I have a history of losing my shirt Barenaked Ladies - One Week

Most Active