Any helpful hints??

(deactivated member)
on 3/28/14 4:01 am - Canada
RNY on 04/16/14

Day 1 of Pre Op Shake [Edit Post]
posted 12 minutes ago

Due to a last minute opening I had one day to plan to start my shakes....there went my last meal plan of seafood dinner at my favourite restaurant!  

So, I am now awaiting shake three, Vanilla as I could not even swallow the chocolate ones.  I find it easiest to close my eyes and down them in two large gulps.  They really do taste of chemicals though...how I wish I had no tastebuds!!!  I am sooooo hungry right now I can't wait to be on Day 4 or Day 5 when i am used to the taste and not so hungry.  I am lucky Day 1 is today so I have the weekend to adjust.  

On a positive note because I was taking a spot someone else could not fill I have two less days of shakes as my operation is April 16th.  

I am now starting to get a headache, and am very thankful the dietician told me to stop diet pop and caffeine weeks ago....I do not think I could deal with withdrawal from caffeine on top of the hunger and headache.   

Positive thoughts, positive thoughts.  I welcome any helpful tips from anyone who went through this before!

poet_kelly
on 3/28/14 6:35 am - OH

Try some different brands of shakes.  They do not all taste the same.  I probably tried two dozen before finding some I like  But there are some I like now.

Try adding a spoonful of decaf instant coffee crystals to your vanilla shake.  You can either shake it up good or add a handful of ice and put it in the blender.  the coffee taste makes most vanilla shakes taste better.  It kind of covers up the protein smell/taste.  Drink them from a cup with a lid so you can't smell them.

You can also add stuff like flavored extracts you find in the baking aisle.  So you could add peppermint or coconut extract to a chocolate shake.  Or add decaf coffee to a chocolate shake.  You can get sugar free syrups like they put in coffee drinks.  You should find a couple flavors in the coffee aisle at the grocery store and you can buy whole bottles at Starbucks, but they don't have many flavors of sugar free there, either.  You can order tons more online, though.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

emelar
on 3/28/14 7:22 am - TX

Get a drink bottle with a lid and straw and don't breathe while you drink.  Seriously.  All your taste buds pick up are sweet, sour, salt, and bitter.  You pick up everything else through your sense of smell.  The less you smell it, the less you'll taste it.  A camelbak thermos works really well.  Not a perfect solution, but it'll make it a lot easier!

(deactivated member)
on 3/30/14 9:25 pm - Canada
RNY on 04/16/14

Thank you, This worked, I now close my eyes and drink it in one shot no breathing.....what a difference.

Thinknthin
on 3/28/14 2:20 pm

I can completely relate this morning I had a new type of protein shake (searching for something tasty) it was a vanilla that I couldn't swallow it gagged me and cam right back out, the smell was good the taste was sooooo bad, I would rather lick mud. I might try putting a strawberry in a blender and ice to see if it can make it tolerable 

10 days until surgery😃

Most Active