Zen and the Art of Pre-Op

apreppyhippie
on 3/29/14 12:13 am

After having made my declaration 10 days ago that weighing myself every day is my new Best Practice, I haven't seen movement on the scale in a full week! My surgery is Monday, and I've been on a pre-op fast that has included three protein drinks and sugar free Popsicles. That's it! So, I've been thinking a lot about managing expectations and the Buddhist precept of detachment. I cannot transfer the comfort I've formerly derived from food to the rapid movement of the scale. Utilizing the scale, but remaining detached from it, means that I am content with the number; my happiness is not dependent upon it.

Although my head is definitely in the right place and I'm all Zen about my decision to have surgery, I've discovered that my body is a bit more tentative! I wasn't experiencing nervousness as I usually do--this was more of a bodily anxiety--pulse ringing in my ears and an inability to concentrate. I asked my doc if an anti-anxiety med would be permissible as needed this weekend, and he gave me the ok. It completely alleviated the annoying symptoms and allowed me a better night's sleep. I see a lot of "nervous" posts here on OH, and thought I would suggest discussing an anti-anxiety med with your surgeon to manage pre-op nerves.

Since surgery for me is out of town, I will be away from home for six days--I packed like a total diva! (Well, a comfort-based diva with a love for loose clothing and soft things!) I am looking forward to continuing to use this forum for good ideas and support. Those of you who have generously told your stories here provide help and hope for those of us who needed encouragement in making this decision, and I'm deeply grateful to you.

Mary Gee
on 3/29/14 12:37 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Sounds like you're in a good place right now.  You've got a great attitude - comfortable with your decision and handling your anxiety in a smart way.  Kudos to you!  Hopefully, I'll be having surgery in about six weeks, and I hope my mindset is as good as yours.

Good luck with your surgery.  

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

apreppyhippie
on 3/29/14 12:55 am

Many thanks, Mary! It will be my turn to encourage YOU in six weeks! Best!

Castine1234
on 3/29/14 1:22 pm
RNY on 05/06/14

I know what you mean by soft and comfortable things!  In a unfamiliar place I always look for something soft to take even if it is just a soft pair of socks or a polar fleece.  It eases my anxiety.  I probably had a security blanket as a child....LOL!  Good luck Monday!

apreppyhippie
on 3/29/14 8:54 pm

Security blanket is packed! Thanks for your reply and best to you!

Most Active