Advice/help

S L.
on 4/1/14 8:40 am, edited 4/14/14 1:00 am

thank you to those who were friendly with your feedback. I know its hard for some to believe their are people out here who are not just dependent upon their WLS tool. I have removed my post because of the negative feedback/ignorance displayed. Now i see why people dont come on these forums.

I will say ive sought out PROFESSIONAL clarity on the matter to find/ confirm what the few good people here have said. In a nut shell i have NOT been eating ENOUGH  to supplement my workouts.

Also, another tid bit that you all should know..who think they know it ALL surgeons are not required to be aware of nutrition. As well, know that if you are eating 1,000 cals and doing the amount of work i do you will ultimately see no results due to starvation of ones self.

MsBatt
on 4/1/14 12:52 pm

A few questions. Which form of WLS did you have? How much weight do you still need to lose? Can you post a sample menu of what you're eating?

S L.
on 4/1/14 2:22 pm
MsBatt
on 4/14/14 1:10 am

Okay, here's what I think. (Just my opinion, in other words.)

You started out with 195 pounds to lose. (130 lost plus 65 still to go.) You've lost 130, or 67% of your excess weight. With a Band, this is very, very good.

Given that you had 195 pounds to lose, I suspect your weight was not solely due to how much you ate---you *probably* have metabolic issues as well. In other words, like many MO people, your body is probably very efficient in getting by on fewer calories so that it can store a larger per centage of what you take in. We call these people super-absorbers.

The Band doesn't change your metabolism, like the malabsorptive surgeries do. (RNY and DS.) Like dieting, the Band pushes your body to become even more efficient at holding on to what you eat. This means two things---the Band has probably further increased your ability to fight losing, and decreased the number of calories you actually burn, compared to 'normal' people.

I don't see how you could possibly exercise more in order to burn more calories. (There are only so many hours in a day, after all. *grin*) Your other alternatives are to reduce your calories--which, in my opinion, will only serve to further damage your metabolism in the long run---or revise to a form of WLS that will actually change the way you metabolize food. Given your history, I'd recommend the DS (duodenal switch), as it makes the most dramatic, permanent change. This is the reason that the DS has the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats, period.

You should also look at not just the number of calories you're eating, but where those calories are coming from. Try reducing your total carb intake to no more than 20 grams a day for  couple of weeks, and get yourself some keto sticks. Test your urine, and once you enter ketosis you can start adding back in carbs until you get out of ketosis. This will tell you the maximum number of carbs you can eat a day in order to lose weight.

S L.
on 4/1/14 2:24 pm
(deactivated member)
on 4/1/14 3:11 pm - GA

Well first congrats on the 130 pounds. You should be very proud of that. Wow, you really burn a lot of calories. How many times a week are you exercising? Five day would be ideal. Even though you are burning an enormous amount of calories are you continuing to shock your body by changing your workout program at least monthly? What may have worked for your originally may not be as effective now because your body has gotten use to it. If possible change the times, reps, sets, DVDs, gyms, intensity, personal trainer, etc.. Drastically shake things up if you have not already. Hopefully you have been adding strength training to your program which is excellent for weight loss and toning. Also if you have not get a program developed by a professional whether its a DVD, fitness class, magazine. etc. and not try to wing it. Hope this helps. Have a great day.

Kate -True Brit
on 4/1/14 7:08 pm - UK

Wow. That is a lot of exercise. I looked on a calculator site and it is 5 hours cycling at 10 mph,  1 1/2 hours non-stop kick boxing,  4 1/2 hours medium rowing!!!  I don't know details about your size, age etc so those are approximations. 

There is an argument ( and I have no medical knowledge but have read it many times) that a very high amount of exercise makes the body more efficient at retaining calories as it is aware that demand will be high.

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Laura in Texas
on 4/1/14 7:38 pm

Are you an elite triathlete? Otherwise, I do not think you are burning that many calories. i never eat my exercise calories back. I agree with your surgeon about cutting back to 1000 calories. Be honest with yourself about your exercise and your eating. You will not lose if you are eating too much. Get out the measuring cups and food scale. Losing weight is hard work. Do the work if you want to get to your goal.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

S L.
on 4/14/14 12:50 am

In accordance to my HRM as well as other devices yes, yes i am. You my friend would be in correct your not the first to make that assertion/assumption. I do burn that amount of calories and according my husbnad who is a body builder/trainer and other health professionals yes i am. I can not, will not cut back to 1, 000 cals to starve myself thanks for your feedback!

Grim_Traveller
on 4/1/14 7:43 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I understand how difficult weight loss is, that's why I had surgery. But the principles are simple. If you gain weight, you are eating too many calories. If you want to lose weight, you need to eat fewer calories. It really is that simple.

I guarantee you aren't burning 2000 calories in a workout. Where are you getting that information? Every online calculator and list, website, and exercise machine shows far more calories than are actually burned.

You are making this more complicated than it is. It's not stress, hormones, or anything else. Weigh your food portions and log every bite. Find out exactly how much you are eating, and reduce calories, and over time you will lose.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Most Active