Newbie, PCOS

sabs
on 4/2/14 9:40 am

Oooh crossing my fingers for you!!!   It sounds like it will be quite the journey and I'm just beginning.  I'm hoping if it comes down to it and I do get the surgery, my tastes will change as they have for so many other people....I wouldn't even mind if I got some dumping syndrome to punish me for tempting myself haha.  That's really the only unhealthy thing about my diet because I rarely eat fried/fast food, I just like pasta and bread.  And HATE feeling hungry!

Keep us updated about your progress!  Have you had any luck with the supervised weightloss?

DelilahJO
on 4/2/14 10:20 pm

Sabs, I will keep the forum updated :) I have had some success with the supervised weightloss but not as much as I had hoped! And I have seriously been trying so hard! We have all but cut out fast food and dining out. I cut my diet soda down to 1 can per day. Drastically cut breads and pasta (my biggest weakness as well) and for not a lot of result. My husband has lost more weight from these changes in our home than me. Which is a bit discouraging. However with a light at the end of the tunnel (surgery) it has helped me to stay focused and not give up because hopefully within 2mo when/if my surgery is approved it will be worth it and on my road to a new life. Also idk if you are of child bearing age but a big thing they have told me is that once the surgery is done you have to double up on birth control because all the weight loss and hormonal changes can cause some good fertility, being I had to have fertility meds to even have both my children I wouldn't have even thought about actually being fertile. I had a tubal ligation after my baby so it's not my worry but something you should be aware of :-) 

sabs
on 4/3/14 10:00 am

That's a good tip!!  I'm 33 but I have NO desire for children so I'll keep that in mind!!!

And I hate how easy it is for men to lose weight, period.  Bad enough without throwing in our PCOS!  I suppose you could still look at it as an overall healthier way of life even if it isn't helping with your weight....I know I'm too obsessed with my weight to think like that right now, but I know it's true :)

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 4/2/14 2:43 pm

Delilah, I didn't mention it above, but if you have type 2 daibetes, that is another thing that the DS if far better at resolving than the other surgeries. Actually, part of the DS is done on non-obese patients in Europe to CURE t2 daibetes. Not remission, cure. There are studies specifically about the surgeries and resolution of t2 diabetes at DSfacts.com

sabs
on 4/3/14 10:01 am

Wow!!  T

jmgrant81
on 4/2/14 7:42 am - deltona, FL

I am newbie too, who also has PCOS.  I have tried dieting forever too, and the low carbs, but lets face it, it is so hard.  I saw a nutrionist and a personal trainer, still could not get the results I needed.  I am hoping to have the RNY, my insurance is still reviewing everything. I hope it is the best decision.  I want to be able to live my life to the fullest extent and this weight is too much.  It is pretty sad when you can barely tie your shoe.   Good Luck!

sabs
on 4/2/14 9:42 am

Crossing my fingers for you too!  I haven't gotten to the insurance part yet, I'm needing to go in for my first appointment with the bariatric doctor in the next couple of weeks.  I think my insurance makes you try to lose for a year so I may have a long time to wait unless they'll accept what my endocrinologist has already documented :(

MsBatt
on 4/2/14 2:57 pm

I agree with everything Amy has said. I too am a very happy DSer! At over ten years post-op, I'm pretty effortlessly maintaining a loss of 170 pounds, have a cholesterol level of around 100, am not diabetic even though it runs heavily in both sides of my family, can still take the NSAIDs I will always need for my arthritis (a BIG no-no with the RNY!), and can pretty much eat anything I choose.

One of the really great things about the DS is that as long as you stick to mostly protein and fat, you can eat all day long. I eat every 2.5-3 hours, so this is a great surgery for grazers. And it has the VERY BEST stats for long-term, maintained weight loss for patients of ANY size, but especially so for those of us with a BMI greater than 50. I do take a lot of vitamins and minerals, but that's SO much easier for me than resisting temptation. (*grin*)

sabs
on 4/3/14 10:03 am

Fabulous!!!  I'm so glad you guys are sharing because if I wind up with a doc that is more old-school, I'll need this ammunition :)

divamc
on 4/3/14 3:44 am - Riverview, FL

Another DSer here! I chose to have my DS because I have Type 2 diabetes and PCOS. I had my DS on 6/21/2013. My PCOS symptoms are greatly reduced. I have a regular menstration and I have lost A LOT of weight in my mid section. I second the mention about birth control with DS. The pill is useless after a DS. My husband and I are being very careful because we are not clear to try until December or March.

You do have to be vigilant about protein, fat, and vites, but after I did my research, the DS seemed the most logical choice. I may sound a little biased, but while I was doing my research I noticed that most people that got the other surgeries ended up getting some kind of revision (usually to a DS). Since I didn't want to have to go through a let down or more than one surgery, I went with the best one available.

I have experienced some side effects (mainly stinky gas and poop), but for the most part, the DS has been idiot proof.

Most Active