6 month supervised

pebtash
on 4/2/14 11:26 pm
VSG on 11/25/14

Does anyone know if through Medicare and the 6 month supervised visits with your PCP if you actually have to lose weight? I don't want to have to lose weight since I know I will on the liquid diet before surgery and if I lose to much my BP might not count then. I will say this though I've been reading lots on here and I've seen some pretty inventive way of making it seem like your not losing weight. I'm going away the end of the month so I can't start my 6 month thing until after that. I have to been seen once a week for the first month then ever other week for the rest of the time without missing any. I can't do that until after I get back home because the way it is set up I would miss and appointment. I am going today to talk to my PCP to see if she will even be willing to do it and say it is medically necessary. I've gained so much lately that my stomach feels very tight and like it is going to explode. I just can't deal with it anymore. Been over weight all my life with the exception of maybe 3 years. I'm 51 now. That's a long time to be over weight.

MrsD68
on 4/3/14 2:54 am

I had the same concern.. if I did too well, and some how sabatoged my own process. I had a history of losing, and re-gaining.. But despite my honest efforts to improve my eating habits.. I did not lose, actually gained some. The nutritionist is a guide to attempting to coach you about after surgery eating. At least mine was. And since on my last physcial, I actually had borderline B/P. But it was realted to my thryroid, I was worried I would not have "enough" problems to qaulify, and at 323 I knew I had the BMI for it. They re-assured me (the surgeon) that even if my cholesterol.. and b/p leveled out, it wasn't enough to stop the surgery. Good luck!! 

pebtash
on 4/3/14 7:31 am
VSG on 11/25/14

TODAY WHEN I SAW MY PCP SHE BASICALY TOLD ME THE SAME THING AS LONG AS I AM TAKING MEDS FOR THE PROBLEMS AND THEY EVEN OUT THEN THE WILL COUNT. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR SURGERY.

MsBatt
on 4/3/14 8:22 am

When you have your first consult with the surgeon, you need to either have a BMI of 40 or greater, or a BMI of at least 35 and two co-morbs. I don't know about now, but Medicare didn't use to have a six-month pre-op diet requirement---and they DON'T pre-approve.

Most Active