Frustrated with my boss

RRach
on 4/8/14 12:42 pm

This post is selfish and for that I am truly sorry. Today I spoke to my boss about taking 2 weeks off for surgery. She was cool with it but wants me to wait till the end of June or July. I said I understood. I'm the case manager at a homeless shelter. I know and totally see her point. But the selfish side of me is frustrated. :(

I want to be free. :( I feel bad being selfish but I don't want to wait any longer than I have to. Can anyone relate?

mmnishik
on 4/8/14 12:45 pm

I don't have the poss situation but I am in school.  I am hoping to have surgery this summer June or July while on Summer break.  There may be a hitch with my insurance approval where i"ll have to do my 6 month weight loss attempt AGAIN. if that happens I'll have to wait till Oct to have surgery, or december if I want to wait for school to be out.  UGH I can't imagine waiting that long.  I'm tired of being in this prison of fat!!  So I can relate.  I am ready to start the new me!

Single mom to 2 girls! Love them <3

RRach
on 4/8/14 12:51 pm

Oh no!! I hope not!! :(

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 4/8/14 1:46 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I know it's no comfort,  but the time will pass quickly.

Use this time to start working on creating new good habits, like giving up soda, drinking plenty of water and eating healthier.   Everything you can do to improve your health now will benefit you after surgery. 

And yes, I understand what you're going through.  I purposely scheduled my surgery over the holidays to minimize the amount of time I'd miss from work. No one can cover for me, so I didn't want to come back to a nightmare. I could have had surgery four months earlier.  By the time it was approaching, I was ready and had no second thoughts. 

Best of luck to you.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

RRach
on 4/8/14 11:17 pm

You're right about the work load and waiting for the right time. You are. Thanks for stating that bc I agree completely! Still sad but very true.

Sarahlicious
on 4/9/14 12:53 am - Portsmouth, OH

Are you at at the point of being ready to schedule surgery? I can relate, I worked at a university and I scheduled a surgery in July so that I could be healed and return to work in time for Fall classes to start...orientation is a busy time etc...so I thought I was being considerate...but when the VP found out I'd miss the summer retreat he asked my boss if I might reschedule my surgery. I was LIVID. 

No matter when you take the time off, as much as you have the right to take it off whenever...right? is the job covered by FMLA? But a good conversation with boss as to who will take over your duties while your gone, meet with them before you go, what level of communication is appropriate if at all while you are out...like if there is an urgent matter and they want to call you or email is that ok? Is there any option to work from home, thus you wouldn't have to "out" as long...or part-tme. I can understand the boss being stressed or wanting it to be a better time, but let's be honest not everything can be planned either. It sounds like you started a good conversation if you are at the point of being ready to schedule surgery and it can occur earlier than see what options she is open too...if you still have pre-op process then...well who knows how long that can take....my surgery got post-poned the morning of because I had a high fever and infection in my legs that came on THAT quick...99.4 the first time nurse took temp and I felt ok had no clue why I'd have a temp...as I lay there and waited got chills and she came back to check temp and it was 102.

I have Lipedema and Lymphedema. I also have a passion for Obesity and Health Insurance Advocacy

Blog: born2lbfat.com Facebook: Born2lbFat Twitter: @born2lbfat

Dcgirl
on 4/11/14 1:36 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

For what it's worth, I know some people have complications but many of us were back at work after one week.  I had RNY and on day 7 was in the office.  I wasn't really tired or in pain...I was actually about 90% back to normal.  It will depend on your age and other health issues, but you may be able to do 1 or 1.5 weeks at an earlier date.  It's the best thing I have ever done for myself and I would find it difficult to wait any longer if I were you.  This was the tool I needed to kick start my new life.  Good luck - no matter when you have surgery :)  

southernlady5464
on 4/11/14 1:41 am

Ask your surgeon how long you might need off and warn your boss. Many can go back, depending on which surgery after a week or two, others need 6-8 weeks. And then even the easiest surgery can still have complications that screw with time tables. Just warn your boss ahead of time to CYA.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Valerie G.
on 4/12/14 3:51 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

If you've not jumped through the hoops required by insurance, it may take longer than that.  It took me  3 mos to get all the appts taken care of, a month to get the approval, then another 6 weeks for a surgery date.  If you like your job and your boss, though, do what you can to make it easy on them in your absence.  I'm a corporate trainer, and I waited until the winter holidays when people are on vacation - not a good time to start any training campaigns.  I also took 8 weeks off,  and was very glad due to being very listless the first 6 weeks.  I took the final 2 weeks trying to develop an eating routine for the office.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active