Reviews on Dr. Stowers - (DFW Area)

Yo_Yo_Girl
on 4/10/14 5:14 am

Hi All!

Has anyone used Dr. Scott Stowers in the DFW area?  If so, what are your impressions and thoughts?

rziller
on 4/10/14 11:41 am
VSG on 03/08/14

My husband and daughter both were sleeved by Dr. Stowers. (My husband in June of 2012 and my daughter in January of 2013.) Both have had great results. My husband did not reach goal before a little "bounce back" but he also hasn't tried very hard. (Shhhh...don't tell him I said that!) My daughter... OMG.... totally life-changing! Hubby was 460-ish at the start of his journey. He was hoping to get to 290 or 300, but stopped at about 315 and now is about 325. (He's 6'4 and has a big build, so even low 300's looks great!) Lauren is 5' 2" and weighed about 270-ish at the start of her journey. She's a very tiny 130-ish now and can't quit looking at herself in the mirror! (Lol...did I tell you she was 18 when she had surgery?) It's been wonderful to see her self-confidence blossom. Anyway, you weren't asking about my family... we really liked Dr. Stowers. To be honest, you don't see much of him. All his pre-op and post-op is done by other docs, but we met with him prior to surgery and of course, he came out and talked with me after both of them. Hubby's insurance changed after Lauren's surgery, so our PCP does all of their follow-up now. Feel free to PM me and give me your email if you want to chat more. 

46 year old female- 5' 6"- Highest weight (11/2013):245; Surgery weight(3/8/2014): 231 Current Weight (5/14/14): 199.4 (PreOp: -5; M1: -18; M2: -8)

MsBatt
on 4/10/14 1:57 pm

With a high weight of 460, your husband would probably benefit greatly from the malabsorption and metabolic improvements offered by the Duodenal Switch. The Sleeve is the stomach portion of the DS, and the 'switch' part is an intestinal bypass similar to, but more effective than, that of the RNY/gastric bypass. If he'd like to get to a lower weight, AND have less trouble maintaining his loss, he can still add the intestinal portion to his existing Sleeve. The DS is also fantastic for treating Type II diabetes and high cholesterol, if he has either of those health problems. But Dr. Stowers does NOT do the DS, so he'd need to find a DS surgeon. (I suggest Dr. Ayoola in Denton, TX.)

rziller
on 4/10/14 2:21 pm
VSG on 03/08/14

We've talked about DS for him, but honestly we're fairly happy where he is. I know it sounds like we're justifying it to say we're happy at 325, but if you could see him, you'd agree I think! Part of my motivation to get sleeved recently was to help him get down closer to goal and I think it will help both of us eating similarly. Thanks for the recommendation! I'll keep it in mind should he decide to go that route.  How long since your surgery? How're you doing?

46 year old female- 5' 6"- Highest weight (11/2013):245; Surgery weight(3/8/2014): 231 Current Weight (5/14/14): 199.4 (PreOp: -5; M1: -18; M2: -8)

Most Active