moring at the hospital, UGI, Xray, Lab work, and EKG my experience.

mmnishik
on 4/12/14 3:55 am

I had to be at the hospital at 8:00am for all my appointments. I skipped breakfast (fasting since midnight) then after dropping the little ones off at daycare I headed over to the hospital.

First up was my blood work, oh joy,  They took all my vitamin levels, my TSH, RBC, and a few others.  It took like 10 tubes of blood. ICK.  I felt light headed afterwards.  Not to mention I had to fast before going to my appointment.  The lab tech was super nice and asked me about my pending surgery and was very excited for me.  She has seen many people come through that have done very well on it. 

Second, I went to radiology.  I had to wait a little while, but finally was taken back to get a chest X-ray.  plenty easy, you stand up and they take an x-ray. Not a big deal. 

Then I went for my UGI, (upper gi).  I was nervous about having to drink the barium.  After they got the computer working, which took a little while. ;-) things break when I’m around apparently. lol  Well after that, they had me stand on a platform and they started taking pictures at 2 frames a second, then they had me drink a little big of the barium.  It tasted like bad pepto.  That’s the best way I can describe it.  They then had to take these pop rock carbonation pellets. OMG they were awful.  I’ll take the barium.  Once that hits your stomach you feel like you really need to burp but they told me not to.  Then I had to drink more barium. They laid the platform down so I was on my back, then had me turn counter clockwise to my stomach then back onto my back.  (this spread the barium around my stomach) they took more pictures.  Then they had me roll onto my stomach and drink from a straw, more barium ick.  This is to test the esophagus function. They took more pictures.  they then sat me back up and it was over.  Not too bad over all except for the fizzies. This test is so they can see your anatomy of your esophagus and stomach so there are no or limited surprised when they do the surgery.

I do not have reflux :-) yay or anything else that would prevent surgery.  That’s what the radiologist told me anyway. He was super nice and sweet.  (ie. reflux won’t prevent surgery, just certain types of surgeries like the lap band and sleeve)

After this I went over to cardiology and got my EKG.  It took a total of 2 minutes if that. They hooked leads up to my chest, legs and such and 1 minutes later they took them off. No big deal. 

I will get all the results on May 6th at my results visit with Dr B. 

I was at the hospital from 8am until 11am.  I then went and got lunch, as I was starving.  Barium does not make for a good breakfast. Just saying. ;-)

The tests weren’t as bad as I made them out in my head. I still have to have a sleep study, and EGD and meet with the nutritionist then I am done :-) WooHoo. 

The sleep study is next week, the EGD is the 24th, and I have yet to hear from the nutritionist for an appointment yet. Should be done by time May 6th comes around I hope.  Then we submit for insurance after may 6th.  I’m excited.

Anyways, that was my experience with the UGI, Lab work, EKG, and chest X ray. 

I am super excited that this process if flying by!

Single mom to 2 girls! Love them <3

MrsD68
on 4/14/14 12:21 am

I was super excited to be at the final lap of my journey as well!! I am actually on my 24 hour clear liquid preop right now.. Dealing with a little head hunger, but managing to keep myself busy, and not feed into it (no pun intended) .  Tomorrow at this time, I will be in surgery.... and then my real journey begins.. It took me since November 2013 to finally get thru this whole process.. GOOD LUCK to you.. I am having RNY, you didnt mention which surgery you were having.. but good luck with yours as well!!

mmnishik
on 4/15/14 10:41 am

I am going for RNY as well! :)

I am super excited for you, right now you are on the losers bench! YAY

Single mom to 2 girls! Love them <3

MrsD68
on 4/19/14 1:36 am

OH boy.. POST OP is definately NOT my favorite part!!!

Most Active