Surgery was yesterday... Anyone experience the same??

Kelly228
on 4/12/14 8:09 am
RNY on 04/11/14

So I just had my surgery yesterday morning.. Second patient of the day. I was made to get up last night to sit in the recliner and then walk.. I thought I was going to die!

Today all monitors are off, no more fluids, and I've been in the recliner all day. I've been up 4 times to walk the halls so far, because I heard so many times that it gets better the more you walk... I'm still praying for that! The pain is all upper abdomen... And it feels like I've done a million sit-ups and that my stomach is gonna rip open any time I move.. It is a sharp, stabbing, burning sensation that honestly feels like my stomach is ripping open. Was this the typical experience for everyone? I read some people said they had no pain... That would have been a dream come true compared to the pain I'm in! 

I guess the major thing is, I faced my fears (even though I panicked when they came to take me back) and did it!! Can't wait to feel like I can at least survive the pain!!

As for hunger.. I have none but have been eating the caloric Popsicles when my nurse harasses me about them! I know this is only the day after but I already see that I'm not doing good on fluid intake, probably because I've slept a lot between walking.

I have gas pains but I've only been able to burp and my doctor said she doesn't want it coming out by burping.. She said walking helps it move out but so far, nothing! 

Any opinions on what to do about the gas pains and getting everything moving besides walking... And was the pain as bad for anyone else? I was literally screaming and trembling trying to get out of bed.. And I have a very HIGH pain tolerance! I gave birth each time with NO drugs whatsoever and would do it 10 times over before choosing this kind of pain!! 

AnnyBananny
on 4/12/14 9:22 am - PA
RNY on 03/18/14

You're not alone - I had pretty bad pain as well. Full disclosure: I've never given birth, BUT have suffered kidney stones (which many women say is worse than childbirth) and I felt like my pain after RNY was worse than that. 

Talk to your nurse about your pain meds, perhaps you need an adjustment. I did great the day of surgery with the meds keeping the pain at bay, but that night the gas pain started in and at first I had forgotten what they were and was terrified something was wrong. Truly the only thing I did that helped was walk, walk, walk. I also was always holding a pillow on my belly when I was sitting and I remember that I rocked back and forth some and that seemed to get things moving as well, though it might have just been in my head. 

But, the good news? You'll be feeling better soon - I had my surgery Tuesday morning, had pain Wednesday (went home that evening), spent Thursday pretty groggy and in pain, but by Friday morning I was feeling sooo much better - the gas pains seemed to have mostly dissipated and the percocet they sent me home with was really doing its job.

Good luck and hang in there!

RNY @ Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia with Dr. Tatyan Clark 3/18/2014

Kelly228
on 4/13/14 4:33 am
RNY on 04/11/14

Thanks for your reply. Things got worse before they started getting better for sure. I started dry heaving and throwing up mucus last night and once today. Doctor came back in to do my last evaluation before discharge and decided to put another bag of fluids in me before I left the hospital. All I wanted to do is sleep! I left the hospital around noon today, went to walmart for Popsicles and meds and feel a little better now that I'm home. Still haven't moved any gas out other than burping! The gas pains are horrible! And on top of everything else, Mother Nature decided to show up today! 2 days after surgery! Just another hurdle I guess...

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 4/12/14 9:24 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Tell the nurse/doctors the level of pain you're in to get the proper pain meds, this is not the time to tough it out, time for recovery which would be hard to do for the amt of pain you're describing. Good luck

(deactivated member)
on 4/12/14 9:25 am

My opinion NO THIS IS NOT NORMAL.   I don't understand why they would take you off of fluids, they are surely asking for a problem with dehydration.  I would grab my surgeon by her right tit and not let go till she listened to you and understood.

Lori W.
on 4/13/14 1:31 am - Pittsburgh, PA
RNY on 05/12/14

Laurie = AWESOME!  My surgery is 5/12 and am very afraid of the pain as I am the Pain Wimp. I will take your advice with one deviation, since my surgeon is male, I will grab lower.

Kelly228
on 4/13/14 4:37 am
RNY on 04/11/14

I think dehydration is part of the reason all I wanted to do was sleep. I could NOT keep my eyes open.. Unless I was peeing or throwing up... Or someone came in and managed to wake me up for however long they needed me. Got more fluids in me today before being discharged and I'm feeling a lot better.. Still in pain, but can keep my eyes open!

(deactivated member)
on 4/13/14 7:11 am

The day of my surgery and  even the day after I slept... I was woken every 2 hours for some sort of check but yes I could have slept the entire time.. but I was on fluids.  Upon coming home I slept for the next 2 days and only seem to wake to take sips of something.. I swear I didn't even have a conversation with anyone for a 4 full days.. I grunted, answered in single words, to produce a full sentence seem to wear me out.  I stopped answering the phone because I just wasn't up to talking.. if I did I'm say sorry but I'm asleep and will call you later.

I don't recall ever reacting to surgery in this manner, I chalked it up to being older :)

Thinknthin
on 4/13/14 4:27 am

I notice that if I reach both hands/arms straight up slowly leaning side to side it really helps with the gas pain. If that doesn't do it on its own I have my husband rub/pat my back. On top of walking really helps

finallyfree2beme
on 4/13/14 8:28 am

i did not have pain like this, i was sore when changing positions or walking but all within reason. Nothing burned or felt like it wad going to rip. I hope you ate feeling better, if not i would return to the hospital and have things checked out. Your experience does not seem to match mine at all.

Most Active