Anti-inflammatory drugs

Robin
on 4/13/14 6:23 am - Walled Lake, MI

Hi,

Does anyone know what anti-inflammatory drugs a WLS patient can take?  I know NOTHING with aspirin or stuff like Motrin or Aleive.

I need to take something but afraid of ulcers, been there and done that...got 6 units of blood and never again!

Thanks,

Robin

poet_kelly
on 4/13/14 6:28 am - OH

WLS patients are no more likely to get ulcers than non-WLS folks from NSAIDS.  The issue for RNY patients, though, is the risk of ulcers in the blind stomach.  You don't mention which WLS  you had, but if you had RNY, or if you are particularly at risk for ulcers for some reason and want to avoid NSAIDS, the only other anti-inflammatory drug would be steroids.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Robin
on 4/13/14 6:32 am - Walled Lake, MI

Thank you, it seems I have very bad arthritis  and I need something..Tylenol isn't helping.  I  had RYN in 2003.  I did check with my doc and he recommended Celebrex which I am allergic too.

Thanks for your help

poet_kelly
on 4/13/14 6:32 am - OH

Since Celebrex is an NSAID, I would not take it anyway.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

MsBatt
on 4/13/14 11:53 am

You have to weigh the pros and cons of suffering with your arthritis versus risking developing an ulcer in your blind stomach. If you've previously had an ulcer, or any sort of GI bleed, then stay away from NSAIDs. (Google NSAIDs for a list of them and products that contain them.) Mobic is supposedly the NSAID that's easiest on the stomach.

You can take things like Ultram or Tylenol for the pain, but they're not going to help with the inflammation. And there's always steroids.

on 4/13/14 3:43 pm - Canada

what is a blind stomach?

MsBatt
on 4/13/14 4:22 pm
On April 13, 2014 at 10:43 PM Pacific Time, 10026278 wrote:

what is a blind stomach?

In the RNY, the stomach is divided into a small pouch to hold food, and a remnant stomach. This remnant stomach is 'blind', in that it can't be reached by an endoscope. Here's a picture:

Gastric Bypass

MsBatt
on 4/13/14 4:26 pm

Depending on where your arthritis is, you might benefit from the pain patches I use. They're called Lidoderm, and they don't contain any NSAIDs, just lidocaine. I find they help me a lot of places like my knees, feet, wrists, etc.---'skinny' places where they'll tick well. They don't seem to help as much on places where there's more flesh over the joint, like my hips, and they're useless on my neck because they won't stay stuck on.

56sunShine14
on 4/13/14 1:21 pm

I take Mobic (Meloxicam) for my arthritis and have for several years since Vioxx was pulled.  Without it, I cannot walk or do a lot of things.

Robin
on 4/13/14 7:54 pm - Walled Lake, MI

Thank you..

Most Active