New to the forum! Need some help!

GJenniffer
on 4/15/14 5:01 am

Hi!

My name is Jenniffer, from Miami. I have been obese since I was a child. I am 25 and still obese. I have tried many diets and none of them seem to work. I go to the gym usually 5 days each week. My annual check ups results are always great, except for my hypertension which I have been suffering from since I was 15. Last year I was officially diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS), although I know I got PCOS when I was 11 /15...

It is hard. Some people just cannot believe all the years I have been dieting and still "fat"... They don't know about the suffering and tears...

I'm desperate, I have tried everything and nothing seems to work. It is just hard, I work out three times harder to lose weight, I eat healthy, I have become a "nutritionist" due to all the reading and experience I have got during all these years trying to lose weight  and not being able to do it. 

I was against bariatric surgery, but not anymore. It seems to be the last resource I have, but it is expensive.

Last month, I went to this weight loss seminar here in Miami with Dr. Jorge Sosa (Palmetto General Hospital, well known by its bariatric surgery program, #2 in florida). I learned everything about WLS and decided to apply for a medical loan since my insurance policy did not cover the wls.

I applied on Care Credit and Medical Financing  for 18,500 (surgery cost), and was not approved because of my credit (I still don't get it because according to Credit Karma my credit is 740 something). I can't have my mother as a cosigner because she just filled bankruptcy. My boyfriend wants to help me but I don't want him to be the cosigner because I don't want to ruin his credit in case I lose my job and cannot pay anymore.

I only have a part time job (retail, from 10 up to 34 hours). I don't know what to do. Please help me. I need this surgery. 

Those with poor or bad credit, how were you able to get financing for your WLS? 

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 4/15/14 5:28 am
VSG on 12/06/12

I am not sure of the financing part but many people on this board went to Mexico. From what I have read they paid like around 6000 dollars and most of them have done more surgeries then the guys here. My other suggestion is since you work on 10 to 34 hours have you applied for medicaid? With all the new affordable care act stuff they raised how much you can make for medicaid this year. Also you may be elgible for other insurance. Just a thought.

GJenniffer
on 4/24/14 3:43 am

Thanks for replying. 

Sounds interesting going to Mexico, it's cheaper. I was also considering going to the Dominican Republic (I'm from there), but it would cost me 10,000 dollars. Anyways, it would be cheaper in both countries. 

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 4/24/14 3:48 am
VSG on 12/06/12
GJenniffer
on 4/24/14 4:09 am, edited 4/24/14 4:10 am

I don't think I qualify for Medicaid. I once tried to apply but I didn't have a job back then. Good idea, I'm going to try now that I'm working. Thanks.

p.s. (I have Blue Cross/ Blue Shield HMO, through my mother's employment but any bariatric surgery is excluded from our plan)

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 4/24/14 4:13 am
VSG on 12/06/12

You are welcome and many states expanded medicaid due to the affordable care act. Your state may not have I am not sure. I live in the most liberal state there is so we have lots of social programs.

Laura A.
on 4/15/14 5:34 am - Manteca, CA

I am channeling Suze Orman here….  an elective surgery is NOT something you should be doing on credit.

Whatever the monthly payments on $18K would be ($500+???) is what you should be putting into a surgery savings account….If you think you can afford those payments then it'll be easy to put that much away each month….or more if you can.  Start collecting recyclables and cashing them in to add to you surgery savings account.  Get creative on ways to add money to your savings account.

Then when the time comes for surgery you can pay for it….and maybe even get a discount for paying cash.  But you will come home and already 'own' your surgery and will be able to focus on healing and losing.

Laura A.         5'3"  BW299/CW135

GJenniffer
on 4/24/14 4:05 am

I agree. I'm just desperate. But imagine how long I will have to wait til I save 18k, :(

Tracy D.
on 4/15/14 5:47 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I would also encourage you to check out the Affordable Care Act website to see if there's an affordable plan out there that might cover this type of surgery.  And if you're lower income you should check out your eligibility for Medicaid (though I'm doubtful that Florida has passed any Medicaid expansion legislation).  

Also, Mexico could be a very viable option for you.  You're still young; even if you took a couple years to save it would be much better to go to Mexico and get it paid in full rather than making payments with interest for 5 years.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

GJenniffer
on 4/24/14 4:12 am

Thanks for your help. I plan to do some research on the Affordable Care Act and see if they have something to offer me.

Most Active