Will I need a seat belt extender?

Phatphotog
on 4/17/14 3:28 pm

I am having surgery in Mexico is 7 weeks! :) But I am terrified of my very first flight. I'm so worried I might need a seat belt extender though my husband thinks I'm being ridiculous. I have no idea how it will go. I am just a low key, hate to have any attention kind of person. I don't want to be embarrassed. :( So I'm thinking about buying my own extender so I won't have to be embarrassed to ask. Do you think it's necessary? I'm 5 7, 260, size 22 jeans and we are flying Delta. Thanks!

Darkwingdc
on 4/17/14 5:30 pm - MI

You should be fine.  I had to ask for one when I went to Disney World in Feb.  The flight attendent was really cool about it.  My mom is about your size and she did not need one.  You will be okay.  Save the money and if you need one ask.  Just think IF you need one this will be the first and last time you need it. 

CPA_Loser
on 4/17/14 8:15 pm - WA

I too have been embarrassed to ask - but you can do it discretely as you board the plane. The flight attendants are very nice and understanding and will usually find one and hand it to you discretely. You likely won't need one anyway...but I would waste money buying one. 

Good of luck with your surgery!

LKS1632
on 4/17/14 10:46 pm
RNY on 03/26/14

I have had to ask for one several times...and yes, it is gut retching. However - I always ask the flight attendant that is standing at the door to great you, I just ask very quietly "can I please have an extender" and I have to say that every time, they have been quick and discrete about giving me one.

This way, when I get to my seat, I have it and I wont have to call anyone over...if they don't have one at the door, they will come to my seat with it (it saves me the time trying to flag someone down)...but again, very discrete. SOOO...if I need it, I have it, if not, I leave it on my seat when I leave the plane.

Another note - when I have to switch planes I have taken the extender with me and no one has ever "stopped" me or asked for it back; then I just leave it on my chair when the fights are over.

Best of luck to you and I promise...asking for an extender will only "hurt" for the moment. But this is why we are having this surgery done, not only to become healthy. but to also rid ourselves of all the discomforts of trying to "fit" into this society. I think I will actually cry when I no longer need an extender...it is one of my goals!

Safe travels!!

Laura

Phatphotog
on 4/18/14 12:31 am

Thank you for the replies! I can't wait to get it over with and start living a "normal sized" life! :)

Mac333
on 4/18/14 1:47 am
VSG on 04/24/14 with

I am flying out next Wed. And I am a size 20/22 and 4 inches shorter

than you and don't expect to need one. Don't forget you will be on some kind of pre op diet and will loose some before your surgery.

Mac    HW  234   SW   204.8   CW   190     M1  

" The favors of the Lord are not exhausted,His merices are not spent; they are renewed every morning so great is His faithfulness"     

Lamentations 3:22-23

Nic M
on 4/18/14 2:52 am

I think you'll be okay.  I doubt if you'll need an extender and you certainly won't need one after you start losing weight. I am not sure I'd spend money on buying one.  Best of luck to you with everything! I hope your surgery goes really well, too. 

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Phatphotog
on 4/18/14 7:26 am

Thank you! 

Debola
on 4/18/14 12:11 pm

I think you'll be okay, but I too have found flight attendants to be very nice when I ask.

i wouldn't take it off the plane though.  A lot of flights use the extenders in their safety presentations.

(deactivated member)
on 4/18/14 9:07 pm

i dont think u have to feel bad for asking for an extender as in general these things will be kept for people who need this. U have every right to ask for it and defenitely the attendar will help u with that. in the mean time try and loose your weight, U have 45 days - im sure you can loose atleast 15-20 lbs and around 10 cms of your waist. mail me for progress at [email protected]

Most Active