Just starting the process

StacyJo44
on 4/18/14 10:27 am - MN
RNY on 12/31/14

Hi, I'm new to the site and just starting on my WLS journey. I went to a seminar last month and just had my first appointment with a bariatric nurse yesterday. I now have appointments set up with a dietitian, psychologist and a sleep study. Contact with my insurance company has been positive and appears surgery will be covered. My BMI is at 42.3 and my current weight is 262. Ideally I should weigh 142 and i'm opting for the RNY. The Nurse suggested I start some vitamins now so after the appointment I went and bought some. Started them today. I'll need to lose 12 1/2 lbs before surgery and give up my beloved Tea. I'm really just looking for some realistic idea of what lies ahead before I actually get to the surgery? How long do most people wait before they're scheduled for surgery, how long it took them to recover after RNY? And any suggestions from those who've been through this stage already on how to prepare. Thanks!

Member Services
on 4/18/14 2:01 pm - Irvine, CA

Hi StacyJo44,

Post this on the RNY forum if you have not already done so.

Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass Surgery Forum (RNY)

Keep us posted on how you are doing  

Regards,

Member Services

MsBatt
on 4/20/14 9:33 am

Why do you have to give up tea? I hd tea as part of my first post-op 'meal', such as it was.

I had my first consult with my surgeon on 10/31/03, and had my DS done on 12/11/03. Two weeks before that, I had all my pre-op testing done in one trip to the hospital. I had my DS done about 2.5 hours from home, so my surgeon arranged things so that I could get everything done in one trip.

Recovery time is SO individual, since every body is different. My DS was done open, and it took me about 3 weeks to feel reasonably good after surgery.

jenn1469
on 4/20/14 12:53 pm
On April 18, 2014 at 5:27 PM Pacific Time, StacyJo44 wrote:

Hi, I'm new to the site and just starting on my WLS journey. I went to a seminar last month and just had my first appointment with a bariatric nurse yesterday. I now have appointments set up with a dietitian, psychologist and a sleep study. Contact with my insurance company has been positive and appears surgery will be covered. My BMI is at 42.3 and my current weight is 262. Ideally I should weigh 142 and i'm opting for the RNY. The Nurse suggested I start some vitamins now so after the appointment I went and bought some. Started them today. I'll need to lose 12 1/2 lbs before surgery and give up my beloved Tea. I'm really just looking for some realistic idea of what lies ahead before I actually get to the surgery? How long do most people wait before they're scheduled for surgery, how long it took them to recover after RNY? And any suggestions from those who've been through this stage already on how to prepare. Thanks!

I was able to schedule 30 days out after insurance said yes. You just gotta to be cleared by pcp doc after blood and ekg tests. My surgery is june10 cant wait. good luck!!!!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/21/14 3:11 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I had the sleeve, but apparently insurance/scheduling and recovery are similar.

I went to a surgery seminar in August, and my insurance required 2 months' supervised diet, so I had surgery in December. I was back to work 2 weeks later, but it took about a month or so until I had most of my energy back.

Congrats on getting started! :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active