Protein shakes and such...

Valerie G.
on 4/23/14 10:35 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

My tastes changed significantly after surgery.  What tasted good pre-op tasted like poison later.  Don't buy too much of anything right now.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

tansey90
on 4/23/14 10:11 pm

I am not very adventurous and don't want to get into any complicated recipes.  I get up for work at 4:45 a.m. and want something quick and easy.  So, can I just add some cooled coffee to say one of my chocolate protein shakes and make it taste different? Or do I have to add something else too? 

Lisa B (tansey90)

Snellville, GA

burghblonde
on 4/23/14 11:34 pm
RNY on 05/12/14

This is what I did this AM! I have been having mainly liquid days on occasion just to mentally prepare myself for post-op. Weird I know, but I figure if I can handle it prior to surgery then I should be set. This is one of those days soooo....

I made a chocolate shake, I used Chike and light vanilla soy (6 0z), then I added about 2 ounces of coffee to it (my husband makes it really strong in the morning so 2 worked fine), then I threw in a shot of SGF Torani coconut. Not too shabby!!

Never Sell Out On Your Heart 

~ Heather~

Ready4Change1219
on 4/23/14 11:58 pm

whats the cake batter one? that sounds yummy. thanks for posting ive been looking for coffee alternatives as well. Chike has one but dont think you can have after surgery cuz they said its caffinated or carbonated, i tried due to seeing it posted via EggFace's page.

burghblonde
on 4/24/14 12:40 am
RNY on 05/12/14

ENS Celebrate has the Vanilla Cake Batter. It is my personal favorite along with the Chike...All of them! :)

Click is another coffee alternative but there is still caffeine in it, approx 150 mg per 12 oz (depending on how much milk or water you add) which is about the same as an 8 oz cup of coffee.

It is really good stuff, especially the caramel, however I am straying from it only because my doctor and nutritionist reccommend staying with protein powders with a base main ingredient of 'soy isolate' or 'whey isolate'. Not sure why? I see the calcium caseinate in a lot of stuff. Can anyone answer perhaps why? I do have an appt tomorrow and I will be sure to ask about it as well.

~ Heather~

greenbean26
on 4/24/14 2:04 pm

I've been a member of this site for a year, but finally took the big plunge and had my VSG on 4/17/14, and am struggling with feeling full and making sure I get my protein in. I currently drink Protein Premier's Shake twice a day, and it does the trick with getting the bulk of my recommended protein in, but I wanted some new ideas. I'm appreciative that I came across this thread!! I'm ordering those sample packs from Nashua Nutrition tonight, and rushing them! Also, anyone have any thoughts on adding a cup of decaf to my protein shake and adding some ice and creating a shake that way? i MISS my coffee, I really do!

thanks!

GG

barbsherer
on 4/25/14 11:19 am

I"m 8 weeks post RNY and having a very hard time with meat, so I'm really dependent on protein drinks.  I've tried a lot but like the nectar drinks the best.  My favorite is fuzzy navel and I use 1 1/3 scoops to get 30g protein in.  I bought ten samples and liked the vanilla torte so I got the big container of it.  Now trying it I don't really like it.  Does anyone use it in particular that has found a good recipe?  I tried it with milk and frozen strawberries blended and wasn't crazy about it.  It has a really strong French Vanilla type flavor - even has specks of vanilla bean in it.

burghblonde
on 4/25/14 1:09 pm
RNY on 05/12/14

Have you tried maybe adding it to pudding or perhaps hot chocolate?

~ Heather~

barbsherer
on 4/25/14 1:15 pm

No I haven't.  When you put it in pudding do you add it to the premade pudding cups? Or homemade?  Who makes good hot chocolate?  I'm having a hard time getting most foods down and textures seems to really be bothering me.  When you add it to other things does it feel gritty or anything else odd? 

Thanks for your suggestions.  I NEVER thought I would have a hard time eating.  Never.  My calories and protein have been low enough to keep me from losing well and that has got to stop!  Lol.

burghblonde
on 4/25/14 1:08 pm
RNY on 05/12/14

I need to most definitely try the Nectar again, perhaps it would be more tasty in a flavored water or low sugar/low call OJ?

As for adding the coffee, I can't see why using decaf would be an issue.

I had my last pre-op appointment this morning and asked about the calcium caseinate vs. whey/soy isolates. I was told that they are fine, however the isolate proteins seem to absorb more efficiently. Also, every center's guidelines are different but mine ok's caffeinated tea or coffee not in excess of 2/8 oz servings daily. That being said...I ordered myself some click as soon as I got home!!! ;)   Woot Woot!!!

~ Heather~

Most Active