Does anyone have these sleeping problems?

Sephiroth
on 4/26/14 4:20 pm

Hi everyone! I was hoping to ask for some help. I have been banded for about four years now, and have seen great success. I was just filled recently for the first time in almost a year, two weeks ago. However, my issue isn't with my fill, but I get these coughing spasms when I'm trying to sleep. They tend to get violent, and bring a saliva/mucus (sorry not trying to be disgusting) coating up my air way. Now, I'm not eating/drinking anything before bed, and I haven't been vomiting with my food. I do take prilosec everyday to help with acid, but it's not acid. I'm attempting propting my head up, in various different directions. I know for fact it's not a band slippage, but I haven't had a good nights sleep in probably two weeks. I'm waking up every 20 minutes or so all night long in need to clear my air way. Has anyone had similar problems? I really need some sleep...

Member Services
on 4/27/14 12:37 am - Irvine, CA

We suggest you contact your surgeon as soon as possible and make an appointment to see what may be going on. Also, post this on the Lap Band Forum to reach out to others that have had your surgery.

LAP-BAND Forum

56sunShine14
on 4/27/14 2:20 am

As a banded person also, you need to talk to your surgeon about this.  Did you have a hiatal hernia repair when you were banded?  If not, you may have one, a hernia.  I am not certain of this but do know that that sort of coughing is asked about before surgery usually.

I am not a doctor and have no education as such.  I express ONLY my opinion based on my history and experiences.  See your physician if you are having issues beyond the norm.

Hislady
on 4/27/14 3:30 am - Vancouver, WA

You are way too tight, you are aspirating in your sleep, which can be deadly. You need to see your doc right away and get a small unfill before you have serious problems. This can happen when the band is too full. How do you know for a fact your band hasn't slipped, even the docs can't always tell. Sometimes it doesn't even show up on tests as slipped but they get inside and it is indeed slipped. Please see your surgeon right away!

Sephiroth
on 4/27/14 6:45 am

Thank you everyone. In response, I have a lot of medical professionals in my family. So I am well taken care of. :) I'm not in any pain, just tired. I actually slept well last night, once I got myself to a certain angle. 90% of the time this is happening to me it's due to weather changes. 

Melinda H.
on 4/27/14 11:26 am

Hi,

I had exact problem. I was too tight. Had complete unfill and couhing/reflux gone. Mine wasn't acid either.

Banded May 2006 at 260 lbs.

current weight 177.5 lb.

Sephiroth
on 4/27/14 11:35 am

I've had a complete unfill before too. I'm finally back to loosing weight, and not vomiting from my meals. If never want to go and have a complete unfill, again. Too much weight just came on too fast. I never want to be close to that heavy again.

Most Active