Low Blood Sugar

cougar64
on 4/29/14 12:44 pm

I had surgery 12 years ago and now I have blood sugars that get as low as 36. I have tried gluten free,  complex carbs, eating every 2 hours. Is there anyone that has any ideas.

siberiancat
on 4/30/14 3:10 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

I'm only 5 years post RNY and I developed reactive hypoglycemia 2 years ago.  I try to stay at 9gm sugar or less in a serving.  If I want to eat something higher in carbs or sugar - then it MUST be with a meal containing protein, fat & vegetables first & then the carb item.

I can usually tell when my blood sugar is about 60 - I get confused, weak, sweaty, shakey.  When it gets in the 40's I also have trouble speaking.  It hasn't gone below 40 - that I've documented with a glucometer.  I carry a glucometer with me.

From what I've read about reactive hypoglycemia after gastric bypass - when our sugar is low we need carbs + fat.  If we only eat something carb then our sugar will go up but then drop back down again.  The fat helps to keep the blood sugar from spiking and falling.  Eating a banana with peanut butter or fruit and cheese - would be examples.

I find it best to not snack and if I do snack I find nuts work best.  I try to keep my meals about the same time daily and each meal has at least 20 grams protein and I stay under 130 grams of carbs a day (mostly from veggies, fruit & dark chocolate).

I am also gluten free and milk intolerant ( I do OK with organic cheese, plain greek yogurt).  I find there are many gluten free junk foods to avoid (bread, pasta, chips,crackers, cookies, cake, muffins, etc.)  They are high in calories & carbs and low in nutrition.  I try to stay with protein first, veggies and fruit.  Lindt dark chocolate (broken in little pieces and allowed to melt in my mouth) satisfies my sweet tooth.  I eat about one ounce a day.

Hope that helps.  Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

MyLady Heidi
on 4/30/14 3:56 am

If this just started you really need to see your doctor so they can diagnose you properly.  I was diabetic prior to surgery and have RH since surgery.  If I eat balanced, healthy meals I have no issues.  Too many carbs and I am crashing like a rock.  I attempt to keep that from happening and for the most part succeed.  But there are days I will eat a bowl of cereal and the bottom will drop out from underneith me.  I avoid all those simple carbs for that very reason.

Most Active