Looking for non-milk based protein powders

MacMadame
on 5/1/14 1:46 pm - Northern, CA

The older I get, the more my tummy hates dairy. It sucks! Now even my protein shakes are bothering me. And whey protein concentrate hardly has any lactose while whey protein isolate has the most minuscule amount.

Anyway, I'm looking for some other kinds of protein powders. Unfortunately, I'm kind of picky. I tried Jay Robb's egg based ones and though they were barfy. I like the soy ones sometimes but I'd rather not have a daily shake that was soy-based. Having a little soy is okay but not soy as the first ingredient.

So... any suggestions?

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Eggface
on 5/1/14 2:49 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

I just sampled one the other day not bad... Nutra Summa Pea Protein (I tried it at Organic Roots, but if you have a Sprouts up in N.CA I think they carry it too) I tried Vanilla mixed in almond milk.

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

MacMadame
on 5/1/14 4:37 pm - Northern, CA

Thanks!

ShadowWolf3
on 5/1/14 5:13 pm - OH
VSG on 03/19/15

Syntrax has one call Nectar that you can use with water.

The tragedy in life doesn't lie in not reaching your goal. The tragedy lies in having no goal to reach.- Benjamin Mays

HW:450, Consult W:371, SW:353

poet_kelly
on 5/1/14 9:41 pm - OH

That contains whey isolate, which is made from milk.  It is not dairy free.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

MacMadame
on 5/2/14 12:16 am - Northern, CA

Yep.

I use Syntrax Matrix now and it is made from Concentrate which has more lactose than Isolate. So maybe Nectar would be okay. But I want to totally cut out dairy for a while and then try whey protein isolate to see what happens. So I need a non-whey one for at least a while.

jenorama
on 5/2/14 1:30 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

I use Muscle Egg--it's a liquid egg white that comes in a gallon jug. I get it at a Max Muscle store in the Blossom Hill area of San Jose. Their website (www.muscleegg.com) has a list of dealers. It's pretty good-not slimy or gross and comes in several flavors. 25g of protein for 8oz and I add 4oz of almond milk. 

Jen

MacMadame
on 5/2/14 2:57 am - Northern, CA

I used to pass by that store all the time!

Goose Bump
on 5/19/15 8:35 am

How many servings do you get out of it?

VSG on 6/25/14  HW:360 GW:170  33yo 5'8''

kaytiebugs
on 5/2/14 3:15 am - Flowery Branch, GA

Have you ever tried Sun Warrior? Or Vegan Shakeology? Sun Warrior is brown rice based and Shakeology is brown rice and pea protein based. You want to avoid vegan protein powders that contain soy protein isolate, which is the most common vegan protein. Another one to try is hemp protein. I've never tried it though.

Most Active