Support Groups

Musicteech
on 5/4/14 10:02 am - TX
VSG on 06/17/14

I'm Pre-OP (June 17 is my VSG surgery date in Dallas) and have attended 2 Support Groups (one in Arlington, TX in January & one in Mansfield, TX in April).  I LOVE being around & learning from those who've already had the surgery!  I've attended all of my Pre-Op classes and have one Dr. appt left on June 4th to discuss the Pre-Op diet & everything that this surgery will entail.  I can't wait till my surgery.  I wish I could be around these folks daily.  

Any advise for me in my last 6 weeks before surgery???

Highest wt 353 (Sept. 2013); surgery wt (June 17, 2014) 336; Current Wt 250.

Kimquilts55
on 5/4/14 11:03 am - The Colony, TX

I am also having surgery on Jun 17...except I opted for the by-pass.  And I also live in the Dallas area...but more north.  I don't have any advise, but would love to be friends!  And share any knowledge.

Kimberly 227-227-140

MY WLS Blog  

Surgery date: June 17 2014

JJ0609
on 5/4/14 10:09 pm, edited 5/4/14 10:09 pm

I would recommend purchasing some ready made protein shakes from Walmart or Target such as Atkins or Muscle Milk Pro Series 40 or Muscle Milk . I recommend ready made because they are not as chalky or lumpy as powder and are more convenient during recovery time. REMEMBER that your taste buds will change after surgery so do not buy a lot of one flavor know because you might not like it at all after surgery-(that is why I do not recommend buying a big container of powder right now also).  Buy your vitamins:a multi-vitamin that has minerals too that is either bariatric chewable or that can be broken in half, Citracal Petites or a bariatric chewable and b12 sublingual. Remember to pack a pillow for your stomach for moving in and out of the bed and for the ride home. It will help with stomach pressure. Bring a family picture to look at when you are without your loved ones. GOOD LUC****eping you in my prayers! Hope this help you both!

“Let someone love you just the way you are – as flawed as you might be, as unattractive as you sometimes feel, and as unaccomplished as you think you are. To believe that you must hide all the parts of you that are broken, out of fear that someone else is incapable of loving what is less than perfect, is to believe that sunlight is incapable of entering a broken window and illuminating a dark room.”― Marc Hack

Ht:5'4 SW:268 CW:127.2 GW:125 RNY 06/09 Stomach/colon revision 11/13  

MsBatt
on 5/5/14 6:31 am, edited 5/5/14 6:31 am

Spend the next six weeks researching. Look closely at a WLS called the Duodenal Switch. It has the same stomach as the Sleeve, plus an intestinal bypass.

The DS has the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats, especially for those of us with a BMI greater than 50. It also has the best stats for resolving or preventing diabetes and high cholesterol, and, IMO the very best post-op quality of life.

Your current surgeon doesn't offer the DS, which is *probably* why he didn't recommend it to you. (That would be like the Ford dealer recommending you go next door and buy a Cadillac.)

Most Active