VSG Eliminating Cravings?

Capegin
on 5/6/14 10:53 am

Hi all,

I recently attended an information session about WLS, and the surgeon said that with VSG, cravings are eliminated (at least in the short term).  As someone whose days have been dominated by cravings for years, I just can't wrap my head around that.  It seems too good to be true. Has anyone experienced this?  Can you share a bit about your post-op experiences with food cravings and hunger?  

Thanks!

MsBatt
on 5/6/14 11:12 am

I have a full DS, so I have a Sleeved stomach. I'm 10+ years post-op, and while I do still have cravings they're not the same as they were pre-op. Now instead of cake I crave things like deviled eggs and pickles, and, lately tomato juice.

My hunger is also very different than pre-op. I find I actually get full and satisfied.

And best of all, I'm pretty effortlessly maintaining a loss of 170 pounds!

Capegin
on 5/6/14 11:27 am

Thank you!

Tracy D.
on 5/7/14 12:25 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Well, as one VSGer to another potential one, let me respectfully say that your surgeon is dead wrong.  Removing the stomach removes a lot of the ghrelin (the hunger hormone) in your gut...at least for awhile, because ghrelin eventually gets produced by other organs in the body so true hunger comes back too.  But for awhile you will have reduced hunger.  But who ever said that cravings were necessarily tied to hunger?

I told my doc that if I only ate when I was "hungry" that I would have never got to almost 250 lbs.  For god's sake...the problem is that we eat for every reason under the sun besides hunger.  And a lot of that has to do with cravings.  

Cravings for unhealthy food is in large part tied to our emotions...and the surgery does NOTHING to fix that.  That is work you have to do on your own with a therapist, if possible.  Figure out why you're wanting to use food to push down your emotions and figure out different coping mechanisms to deal with those emotions.  Then you got this battle in the bag :-) 

And here's another thing:  if you start dabbling in refined carbs like bread, pasta, candy, or anything with sugar you will awaken the carb monster and want more..and more...and more!  Oh yes, my dear, you can and will experience cravings.  

Now that's the real unvarnished truth from someone who is living the dream with the VSG.  DO NOT count on this surgery eliminating cravings from the rest of your life.  It's not based in fact.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Jiliana2
on 5/7/14 12:31 am - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

I had the VSG on February 3 this year. I am just over three months post-op.

I have zero cravings whatsoever. I rarely got cravings pre-op, but when I did, I would postpone them, sometimes for weeks, to really ensure it was a craving and only then would I give in. On a Monday I would say, "Wow, I would love to have a DQ Blizzard right now!" and two weeks later, that Blizzard is still on my mind... I'd give in and go get it. And boy, I'd enjoy it.

Now, post-op, I don't get any cravings at all. I am using food simply as fuel. Basic fuel. Protein, protein, protein. And I'm loving it. It's nice to be able to make Mac and Cheese for the kids and NOT want a taste. It's wonderful to do a stir fry with rice, and be glad to omit the rice from my tiny serving! It's incredible to be able to open the cupboards or fridge, see the chocolate, chips, Pepsi, whatever (teenager in the house!) and have absolutely NO desire to put that stuff near my mouth. Honestly. Like you, I read and heard before surgery that this would happen, and I didn't believe it either. Until I started to experience it, I would have called foul.

I was experiencing what I thought was hunger around the 6 week mark. It didn't take long for me to realize that the 'hunger' was actually acid as I had been trying to eliminate the PPI from my pill regimen. No dice. I went back on the PPI, and the 'hunger' (really, acid!) subsided. No more.

I rely on the clock to tell me when I ought to eat. There are no cues from my sleeve that will do that. At least, this is my experience; your own experiences are just that... your own.

I hope someone else can chime in with an answer to your question as well. Good luck!

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

hollykim
on 5/7/14 3:00 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

I am 4 years out and have a sleeve stomach. I nam never hungry,have to eat by the clock,BUT and it is a HUGE but, I do have cravings. 

Cravings are essentially mental. Our bodies don't crave things in particular,unless we are deficient in some vitamins and minerals,then the cravings will be for protein,or real nutrients,not potato chips.

if we are craving junk,processed white foods, ice cream, candy, cake, alcohol,this is " head hunger" or craving, and not a real body need. If we are really needing nutrients, then protein in the form of meat or eggs or non starchy vegetables will do the trick. If we are craving, then we will be looking for what "sounds" good to eat. 

IMHO,if you have cravings now, you might likely have crAvings now,you might likely have cravings post op also. That is by No Means an indication that you won't be successful. It does mean that therapy might help you overcome that.

gl I love my sleeved stomach and only wish I had been able to do it sooner than I did.

wantWLS
on 5/7/14 4:02 am

Hi Tomorrow it would be only 1 week post vsg surgery and I have got no craving none so ever.  I am so surprised on this myself.  I used to be food addict, cravings would keep me awake at night and now I would have my favourite food in front of me and I don't feel like eating it..so definitely my Sleeve have cut that Craving part from my tummy for sure..and it is only a week lost 10 pounds..wow!! I am so thrilled touch wood!!! lol

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 5/7/14 4:42 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Cravings are not hunger.  I think you're confusing the two terms.

The surgery reduces our stomach size and removes the portion that generates ghrelin, the hunger hormone.  You will not have the intense stomach churning hunger pangs that you once did.  However, your brain is not affected by the surgery and unless you deal with the issues that made you fat, you will continue to have cravings, aka "head hunger."

If it sounds too good to be true, it is.

I am approaching five months post surgery and I do not have hunger.  I eat on a regularly scheduled basis and I eat protein forward meals.  I do still have cravings for food, especially anything salty.  I have to check myself and ask what it is that I'm feeling at that moment.  Do I want to eat to fill an emotional need?  

Unless you delve into these issues, you will lose weight but you're going to struggle maintaining the weight loss.  You have to change your entire perception about food.  It's fuel as energy for your body.  That doesn't mean it can't be delicious and healthy, but you'll never be able to eat the same way you did prior to surgery.  Unless you want to regain weight.

The surgery doesn't magically flip a switch in your brain to make the cravings go away.  I wi**** did.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Capegin
on 5/7/14 5:04 am

Hi,

I'm very well aware of the difference between cravings and hunger!  I do understand the science behind the sleeve changing how your body experiences (or doesn't experience) hunger.  However, I'm also certain the surgeon said cravings are affected as well, hence my disbelief.  That said, I do know that you're right about needing to address the reasons I overeat now.  I know this surgery doesn't affect those issues, which is why I've been on this sight looking for ideas and support.  Essentially, I see my relationship with food as a bad relationship, and if I had a similarly toxic relationship with a person I would have to ultimately end it.  I know that's what I need to do... just trying to wrap my head around it!  Thank you for sharing your ideas and your experiences!  

A. Kondrlik
on 5/7/14 9:01 am
VSG on 01/24/13

I am 15 months out with my VSG.  I get cravings all the time, if I ignore them they eventually go away. I get a little hungry after three hours and pretty hungry after 4.  I think everyone is different as far as  hunger, I think we all fight cravings in one way or another. I eat on a strict schedule, so sometimes I am not hungry when it is time to eat, but I eat anyway!!!

Anne

HW 259    GW 145    CW 140.2  Not finished yet?   

Most Active