bariatric qualifications

kellielovesanthony200

on 5/10/14 1:48 am

hello everyone I'm 5 feet tall and I weigh 225 pounds my BMI is in the range of 40. I'm healthy with now medical issues would i still possibly qualify for the gastric sleeve.

Cunning_Pam
on 5/10/14 3:10 am
RNY on 12/18/13

At five feet tall and 225 pounds your BMI is 43.9. You can definitely find a surgeon willing to operate on you at that BMI. In addition, most insurance companies say that a BMI of 40 and above without comorbidities is acceptable, so if you have insurance and they have coverage for bariatric surgery you should be good to go. Definitely check with your carrier, though. They may have other restrictions that affect you even if they do cover the surgery.

Good luck!

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

MsBatt
on 5/11/14 2:41 am

Call your insurance company and find out what your specific policy requires, but yes, you meet the 'average' criteria.

Good luck!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/11/14 8:58 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Every insurance plan is different with what they will cover. A BMI of 40+ or 35+ with comorbidities (high blood pressure, diabetes, etc.) is common, but some plans require things like a medically-documented history of obesity or the like. The only way to be sure is to check your insurance benefits book (talk to HR or look online) or to call your insurance company-- the phone number should be on the back of your ID card-- and ask for the coverage guidelines.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active