How to maintain protein after I week of surgery..

phillygirl215
on 5/13/14 7:21 am
RNY on 05/07/14

I have surgery 1 week ago and I'm trying to get my protein in a day and I can't find how to do it.. I can only drink two protein shakes a day and they equal out to 50mg but that's not everyday.. I still get very hungry and I don't know what I can eat.. This is very hard for me.. I still have to fix meals for my kids and that's is a challenge for me.. Please help!!! Thanks

Castine1234
on 5/13/14 9:30 am
RNY on 05/06/14

Watered down with milk Greek yogurt?  I'm also one week out.  Working hard on hunger and protein.  I am allowed soups that are run through a blender if low fat.  I also bought some Beneprotein. it has 6 grams of protein.  Has no taste.  Not awful expensive but really is tasteless.  it is on Amazon.  I also can have refried beans watered down with water and i added salsa and a touch og ahredded cheese.  My husband just ate a large steak.  I had to go in bedroom so I wouldn't have to watch!  LOL!  Hope this helps

phillygirl215
on 5/14/14 2:22 am
RNY on 05/07/14

Thanks very helpful..lol my kids eat away from me because they know I can't have it..

SuzinDallas
on 5/13/14 10:06 am

I'm just over a week out, I was told to limit protein drinks to 3 a day, but overall not bother with getting specific amounts of protein at this stage and focus on drinking enough calorie free fluids. I'm averaging about 60 grams of protein a day, and about 50 oz of water alone.  It's a lot of work and I start the second I get out of bed and log/measure everything right until I get back into bed but it's crucial to our health to stay hydrated at this point. The number one reason WLS patients are re-admitted to the hospital in the first few weeks after surgery is dehydration apparently. 

I'm not hungry but I did have some pretty fierce cravings for a few days.  I'm only allowed full liquids, no strained or pureed soups, beans etc.  Just protein drinks, water, crystal light, decaf coffee or decaf tea-things like that. I can have clear broth if I want it. I'm cooking for my family too and it's kind of hard but really I know there will be pain and sickness if I push the limits this early out. Ultimately I have to change my life and the way I think and approach food.  That's why I had the surgery so I need to start now. 

It's not easy at all.  It sucks, but it's only temporary.  I'll eat again.  Someday. LOL

Revision from Lap-Band to RNY May 2014.  

Revision Consultation: 326   Day of Surgery: 310   Current: 250   Goal: 150

Castine1234
on 5/13/14 10:25 am
RNY on 05/06/14

I'm allowed puréed foods but to me really changes the taste so not really interested in them.  Are you getting most of your protein from shakes?  Good luck, we are all going down the same path!

SuzinDallas
on 5/13/14 10:37 am

I'm getting all of my protein from shakes right now.  I'm not allowed any pureed foods.

Revision from Lap-Band to RNY May 2014.  

Revision Consultation: 326   Day of Surgery: 310   Current: 250   Goal: 150

phillygirl215
on 5/14/14 2:29 am
RNY on 05/07/14

Awe that's touch my heart because I feel the same way!! I have ate a tomato base soup and broth from oodles and noodles because I can't stand the smell of chicken broth or beef broth.. Not sure why because I eat drink the oodles broth.. I'm trying but I feel it not working for me.. I don't feel like I lost any weight.. But I know it's to early for results

jenorama
on 5/13/14 10:32 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

I was advised by my program to not worry so much about protein early out. You have plenty of protein reserves right now.  What you don't have are water reserves. Water is going to be your #1 concern right now because it's difficult to catch up since you can't do big swallows while you're swollen and healing. Keep up with your shakes, but don't stress too much if you don't meet your protein goals. 

Talk to your dietician/nutritionist at your post op visit for protein strategies that work with your post op plan. :D

Jen

Castine1234
on 5/13/14 10:40 am
RNY on 05/06/14

Thanks for the info!  Good luck!

phillygirl215
on 5/14/14 9:51 am
RNY on 05/07/14

I would love to stay in touch and see where we're at.. I can of feel alone but I do have support.. They just done understand..

Most Active