Post OP cruise

Bmspc
on 5/16/14 3:30 am

I'm also very nervous because I am going in a big cruise ship 6 weeks out after gastric bypass. Help!!! I can't cancel the cruise. Too many family members depending on it. 

CerealKiller Kat71
on 5/16/14 6:45 am
RNY on 12/31/13

What exactly is worrying you?  That you won't feel well?  Are you not telling family?  That you won't be able to eat a lot?  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Valerie G.
on 5/16/14 8:24 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

You should be feeling pretty decent at 6 weeks post op.  It was just around the time I started to feel more like myself again, but got winded easily still.  Eating would be a drag though, still experimenting with what works or not.  If you've not had surgery yet, you may want to considering rescheduling so you'll feel good and be able to enjoy your cruise fully.  

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Bmspc
on 5/16/14 8:44 am

I am worried about what I can eat on the cruise. My family knows. The surgery date is set in stone with time off work and all. The cruise is set in stone too.  Will have to do my best I guess.  

kathkeb
on 5/16/14 3:37 pm

By 6 weeks put, you will probably want to pack a protein supplement and shaker.

You should be able to have eggs or yogurt or cottage cheese for breakfast.

I would think that for lunch you will be able to get lunch meat and cheese (sandwich without the bread) or tuna or chicken salad 

You may only be eating a few tablespoons at a time .. So may choose to eat a bite off of your family members plates!!  I have done that when out with friends.

I bought a round of drinks, and they all order dinner and then cut me a bite each, and I get to have a sampler plate off of my bread plate.

Cruise ships are VERY accommodating ... Your biggest hurdle may be convincing them that you are fine and can only eat a very small amount .. They are going to want you to eat, eat, eat!

have fun!!

Kath

Bmspc
on 5/16/14 10:12 pm

OMG. Thank you so so much!! That is what I thought. That there is everything and every choice on cruise ships!! There are 22 specialty restaurants on the Norweigan breakaway. I can go to the steakhouse and have a small piece of my sons filet and cut it up tiny. Maybe one slice tomatoes and blue chese. A little taste of each persons whole and natural food. I assume I should stay away from fried or greasy foods like calamari or fries???  What about a small small amount of rice?? Someone ought to write a book about food after gastric bypass. I always hear that one cannot have alcohol. After. I am not a drinker so no big deal. But an occasional glass of wine ?? No??soups like chowders? Test it out with small amounts? Any foods I should absolutely avoid? What about fresh grilles fish and veggies?? I'm going to Bermuda and will miss not having a ****tail on the island. Lol. Anyone know of a good book?

Bmspc
on 5/16/14 10:17 pm

My family is onboard and excited. I'm the only overweight person in the family so they have bed supportive.  This means a lot to me. My insurance has zero coverage for weight loss surgey so I am a self pay patient. Took all my money from my 401k to do this. Ugh. 

EmmyK
on 5/18/14 3:42 am - CA
VSG on 04/30/14

You have so many choices!  You won't have so much head hunger by then, most likely.  Fried greasy things will not be friendly to your stomach.  The steakhouse is a great idea!  Can you see the different menus somewhere online?  Plan, plan, plan.  Know where the options are! 

You will be needing to focus on protein, protein, protein.  You'll still be figuring out what works on your new pouch.  Light fishes will probably be great!  You'll want to see how things like steak and such go.  I believe that on Norweigan, there is an upcharge for certain restaurants?  Is that true?  Rice, fries?  Too filling/carby.  I have a sleeve, but the rice/carbs can cause dumping, yes?  You want to fill up on protein.  Eggs, meat, legumes, cheese, yogurt.

Stay ahead on your water, especially if you aren't used to the heat.

See what your doctor/NUT says about alcohol.  Most programs want you to avoid it for a while.  It can hit you fast, especially with bypass...you absorb more quickly.  

Plan, plan, plan.  Ask yourself: is having bites of food that you love (fried/carbs, etc) missing out on fun because you feel sick and need to go back to your cabin to lie down/sit on the toilet?  Is it worth it to need a taxi STAT to get you back to the ship on Bermuda if that ****tail doesn't sit well?

I haven't been on Norweigan, but look for a deck that is open that you can walk laps on.  It's breezy and beautiful and fun.  (We cruise on Disney, and my husband runs laps on a lower deck.  He did 15 miles on one cruise, as he was marathon training.  It can be done!)  Go on walks to explore the ship.  Have fun with it! 

There are lots of books out there.  Maybe ask on the forum specifically about which books people like best/look at Amazon reviews?

My cruise is six months after my surgery, and I am already planning like a fool!  Go into this ready for the challenges and know how you are going to handle it.  You can do this and have a great time!  I have a sleeve, but at 2.5 weeks out, I hardly have an appetite.  You might be surprised at how uninteresting old favorites look. 

My posts are for general information and do not constitute medical advice.  They should not serve as the basis for any medical decision by you.  Call your physician for advice.  HW 248  SW 233  CW 155

Bmspc
on 5/18/14 7:17 am

Wow Emmy, great advice. You are already planning!! Lol. Good for you. My procedure is in three days. And then 6 weeks later - cruise. I have been on the breakaway before and I'll be fine. There are fresh protein rich foods everywhere. How are you doing with things like veggies and fruit? I love both and am afraid I won't be able to eat all of them. I'll be very excited if my interest in food diminishes. Right now I'm on the liquid pre op diet and have visions of sugar plums dancing in my head. 

EmmyK
on 5/18/14 7:22 am - CA
VSG on 04/30/14

I love food.  LOVE FOOD.  I keep forgetting to eat.  Like, I have to set timers on my iphone.

I'm really not eating a lot of veg and fruit right now.  Not sure how the RNY works, but for us sleevers, they want us to be careful of fiber for a while.  It's the last thing they have us add in.  Protein is the focus.  Water and hitting those protein goals. 

They don't lie when they say that your taste buds change.  Your preop favorite shake?  Might not be your favorite later.  I can barely get half a shake down.  Gah.

My posts are for general information and do not constitute medical advice.  They should not serve as the basis for any medical decision by you.  Call your physician for advice.  HW 248  SW 233  CW 155

Most Active