Has anyone had keratin hair treatment or Brazilian hair treatment in the first year post-op?

Dcgirl
on 5/19/14 9:11 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Hi everyone - random question I know, but I live in DC where it is super hot and humid.  I get super fuzzy and terrible hair in the summer - or I did, until I found keratin treatments.  I get one every late May to get me through June/July/August.  Well I am in the hair loss phase right now (five months post op) and while keratin coats your hair with protein and makes it so you don't have to wa**** as much, it also involved a lot of combing and straight-ironing to apply the keratin.  Will I go bald???  Has anyone had keratin while they were losing hair?  Luckily I had a lot to start with so I am not needing a wig or anything...but I just thought I would crowd source ideas here and see if anyone has experienced this.  Thanks in advance!

Ashley in Belgium
on 5/19/14 4:59 pm - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

I haven't tried either as a post-op - I have very long and thick hair - okay, I used to have very thick hair, now it is just long - but pre-op I had 2x a year a hair straigtening treatment applied that kept my hair flat and frizz free for about 6 months.  It is a natural version (not toxic to the beautician nor the person it's applied on) of a Brazilian blowout. As I have this done in France at my long time stylist I will ask her for the exact product info so you can research it in the States when I am there next week.  I know that sounds very chi-chi of me - but this is where I live so it isn't really :)  But I totally get needing something to deal with the frizz and the fear of doing more damage to our hair!  One thing I have noticed is that if I only wash my hair 2x a week and if I blow it dry and use a flat iron after, then it holds for 3 or 4 days as if I had the treatment.  Maybe cause I have less hair now?  Don't know.  I am 9 months out and the hair loss has slowed down dramatically if that is any consolation!  Now I look like a proper Chia Pet with all the grey wiry hairs poking out of my part!  Sigh....  if you find something new that works - please share!  

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

Dcgirl
on 5/19/14 10:38 pm - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

That doesn't sound chi-chi at all!  And definitely keep me posted what you use.  I always assumed you needed the chemicals to get the nice straight hair :)  I would gladly wa**** only twice a week but I am doing intense personal training right now and so I sweat soooooo much and have to wa**** more :(  Thanks again for the info!

Valerie G.
on 5/19/14 10:08 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

If there is new hair ready to emerge, then your hair will be ready to shed, and yes, the combing and straightening may coax it out a little easier than usual.  The telogen effluvium phase only lasts a couple of months.  I suggest waiting it out before another treatment.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Dcgirl
on 5/19/14 10:39 pm - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Thanks, Valerie!  You are just confirming what I thought.  I think I will hold out...thanks again for the advice!

jenorama
on 5/20/14 5:18 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

Lady, let me tell you.  I have naturally curly hair that I have been having treated with keratin treatments for the last 5 years.  I just went through my hair loss phase and I did not have the treatment done during that time, but I do have to flatiron my hair after every wash to maintain my 'do.  I had a super-thick head of hair and I did lose a lot, but as my hairstylist said, I had plenty to spare.  

I think you'll be fine, but it's probably not a bad idea to warn your stylist ahead of time.  :D

Jen

Most Active