Initial consult tomorrow... questions to ask?

Capegin
on 5/19/14 1:06 am

Hi all,

I have my first consult with a surgeon tomorrow, and I'm excited and nervous.  I did attend a lengthy information session with this surgeon, so I feel like I have a good foundation going in, but I am certain there are questions I'm not thinking of.

What questions do you wish you'd asked at your consult meeting?  What questions are you glad you asked at your consult?

Thanks,

Ginnie

pebtash
on 5/19/14 1:51 am
VSG on 11/25/14

I asked if my insurance company pre-approves for surgery. Some don't and it just so happens mine is one of them so I have to have the surgery first then find out. I'm not liking that to much but they wouldn't do it if they thought they wouldn't get paid. Also ask if you are required to do a 6 month medically supervised plan and what it consist of.  And I forgot to ask how long I have to wait before I find out about my psych consult went. I should have asked how long they think it will be from start to finish ( meaning the surgery date ). I also found out how long of a liquid diet I have to do before surgery it's two weeks and they said the shakes will cost me $60.00 each week. I guess this isn't too bad. So I hope this helps you some. I'm sure others will be able to suggest other information for you. I had my appointments this past Friday with the NP, NUT, and the PSYCH. This morning I had a upper G.I. and all it good. They gave me an appointment with the surgeon for September 12th. and I still have to take 4 behavioral classes still waiting to hear about that. Other than that I'm set. Good Luck to you and please let us know how it goes.  

Dcgirl
on 5/19/14 2:09 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Good question!  I have never thought about a list, but here are a few I would ask and maybe others will chime in :)

1. How many VSGs/RNYs have you done?

2. What is your leak rate?

3. What is your mortality rate (i.e. my surgeon has had one person die, he was 550 lbs and had a heart problem. Dr. assured me no one dies from the surgery, they can potentially have life-threating complications afterward which is why they don't release you until they know you have no leaks and are doing ok)

4. How many nights do people typically stay in the hospital after surgery?

5. Is your hospital considered a Center of Excellence?

6. Can I see your post-op meal plan?  What is your recommendation for carbs/protein/calories in the weeks and months after surgery?

7. What is your post-op support like?

8. Do you track EWL [excess weight lost] for your patients and what are your patients' averages? (mind you this has more to do with patient compliance than the doc)

9. What do you require before surgery? (your insurance may require some months of a nutrition program, but does doc require an IVF filter to prevent blood clots, or an exercise test, or a bowel clean-out or anything else?)

This is all I can think of for now.  I know these questions probably sound super scary, but honestly, even with a BMI of over 50 I had an IVF filter, a super easy surgery (RNY), one night in the hospital, almost no pain, only five days out of work and I have been rocking and rolling ever since!  Keep a positive outlook and go rock this surgery!

Most Active