Painful to drink - HELP!

Zacsmom03
on 5/20/14 1:39 pm

Tomorrow is 2 weeks since my RNY surgery. I normally (prior to surgery) drink a lot of water, but since the surgery I am really struggling to get enough liquid in me. It is truly painful (like really bad gas or GERD) to drink, especially cold/cool drinks. I don't like warm/hot drinks even when it's cold out, but I have even been trying to learn to like tea so I can drink. Has anyone else experienced this and if so what have you tried to remedy the problem. I don't want to get dehydrated. It is so painful to drink that knowing the pain is coming stops me from drinking like I need to. The pain can last from a few seconds to several minutes. 

Any and all help is truly appreciated!

poet_kelly
on 5/20/14 2:02 pm - OH

Drink room temp liquids for now.  I understand you may not like them as much as cold drinks, but if they don't hurt, drink them anyway.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Zacsmom03
on 5/20/14 2:04 pm

Thank you for the input, I have been sipping on room temp water, but even that is painful.  Was wondering if anyone else had experience this and if so what they did and/or how long did it take to pass?

MickeyDee
on 5/20/14 7:39 pm

Room temp, very small sips, frequently.  It's hard to remember sometimes that we can't just glug down liquids like we used to do.

Valerie G.
on 5/20/14 10:56 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Are you on acid reducers at all?  It may very well be part of the problem.  When we say sip, we're talking teaspoons at a time and work your way up to a real drink.  Try varying temperatures and flavors, too.  So many things I liked before were horrible after.  I wound up with childhood favorites that I rarely drank as an adult:  sweet tea, hawaiian punch and green koolaid got me through.  I did some adjustments with splenda instead of sugar, but life became much easier when I figured that part out.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Sandie E.
on 5/21/14 12:32 am - La Grande, OR
RNY on 05/14/14

You might be taking too large of a drink and getting air. My sips are like very small teaspoons probably. Try even using a spoon if you need to and see if it helps. Don't use straws either. Hope things are feeling better!

Highest - 281   1st appt - 274   Approval/pre-surgery - 259   Current - 136

Sparklingbeauty53
on 5/21/14 9:03 am

I feel your pain.  I can't do plain water and I used to love it!  Now I have to put Crystal Light in my water to just get sips down.  I also did sf popsicles to get the liquid in.  Eventually I froze extra strength Crystal Light into tiny cubes and sucked on them.  I still go back to that as it doesn't hurt and goes down.  If you don't make it extra strength it is watery tasting.  Just keep sipping and it will get better.

I am grateful for my RNY!Sparkling Marcia

Most Active