leak after sleeve procedure

samim74
on 5/21/14 1:58 pm

I found this web cite and thought I might be able to get support and answers here. I had the sleeve procedure done and then about two weeks later it was discovered I had a leak. They put in a drain. They tried a stint and it didn't work. A feeding tube was placed in my intestines and I was sent home with it and drain. My doctor did surgery last Thursday and went down my throat and stitched the leak. Before this my drainage was at 300-400 cc a day. It went to 10 two days after surgery to 5 the next day to 10 the day now to 100 the next day and 110 today. Does this mean that the stitching didn't work? I so worried becuase my doctor talked about the next step is actually cutting me open in surgery and fixing it. 

pugmadkate
on 5/22/14 11:10 am

Call your doctor and ask them.  They'll be the one who knows the correct answer.  Best of luck to you.

aharris30
on 5/23/14 12:18 am
VSG on 05/13/14

I agree. We are not surgeons, but he may wait a couple more days to see how it continues to drain. Please let your doctors office know your concerns so they can fully address this. Best of luck.

SusieOl
on 5/23/14 7:28 pm

I had RNY. I had many complications and one that I still have is a leak. They put a drain in my stomach on March 27th. They gave me TPN while in the hospital and wanted to send me to a nursing home. But I told them I couldnt afford that. Then they wanted to give me a feeding tube, at $300 a week, and i told them I couldnt afford that either. They eventually sent me home on liquid diet. I had to measure the output twice a day and flush the drain twice a day. My measurement would vary from day to day. If may still have. Minor leak but the body might also heal the leak on its own. Thats is wht my Dr is hoping. I have something called a Fistula. I had the bag with the drain for about 4 weeks. Dr removed the bag but capped the drain and left it in. If he has to do another surgeyr he can go in thru the drian hole. I go back this Wednesday to find out if i need another surgery. If I nees another surgeyr it would be my 4th since the RNY. All due to complications. Plus, they sont even know if the RNY will be successful because of all my complictions, I never get full. 

MsBatt
on 5/24/14 12:53 am

Are they/have they repaired the fistula? You don't feel full because the fistula allows food to move from your pouch into your remnant stomach (if it's a gastro-gastric fistula---I suppose it could be some other kind.)

SusieOl
on 5/24/14 4:51 am

They have t repaired it yet. I got back this week to see if it healed on it own or if they have to go back in to repair it

Most Active