Redo RNY

Kim Brown
on 5/22/14 11:46 pm - MUSCLE SHOALS, AL

I have a question.  I am 8 years out from RNY.  I am at 200 lbs.  My goal wait was 145.  I was wondering have any of you had there pouch redone.  I have stretched my some and can eat more than needed.  Yes I know this is my fault.  I have tried to increase protein and lower carbs but nothing seems to kick start weight loss.  HElP

Grim_Traveller
on 5/23/14 12:09 am
RNY on 08/21/12

There have been a few procedures developed to attempt what you are asking, but every single person I have heard of said they don't work, and cause all sorts of complications.

There is a back on track group here. Those that have success go back to basics. Weigh and track all your food. Reduce calories. Protein first. Eliminate white carbs.

Good luck.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

poet_kelly
on 5/23/14 12:09 am - OH

Are you sure you've stretched your pouch?  Did you have an endoscopy and a surgeon told you it was stretched too much?  What did he or she recommend doing about it?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

White Dove
on 5/23/14 12:20 am - Warren, OH

Everybody stretches their pouch.  At least in the sense that it is meant to grow and that after a year of so you can eat a "normal" meal.  We would all starve to death if we spent our whole life eating two tablespoons for a meal.

I will be seven years out in October.  At a party this winter someone asked me why I still eat such tiny portions.  I told her that I could easily eat a full plate of food now.  It is my choice to control my weight by eating small amounts of food.

I weigh every morning.  I measure portions and record them in My Fitness Pal.  If I gain weight, I work hard at getting it off.  Nothing will jumpstart weight loss for me anymore.  It has to be a slow, steady and consistent effort.  I reduce calories by 500 a day and lose 1/2 pound a week.  It is not much but in a year it is 26 pounds.  If I reduced by 1000 calories a day, I could lose a pound a week and lose 52 pounds in a year.  For me, that is not doable. 

I maintain at 136 pounds and 1400 calories a day.  Going down to 900 is doable for me, going below that is not.

Getting the pouch redone would only work if you reduced calories afterward.  There will not be a new burst of malabsorption, because that has ended. 

If you want to lose the weight, then work out a food plan that will do that for you.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

MsBatt
on 5/23/14 5:20 am

You're probably not going to get a revision covered by insurance at your present weight. (Sad, but true.)

If you do decide to have a revision, look into getting your RNY converted to a DS.

Eggface
on 5/24/14 12:57 am - Sunny Southern, CA

Are you using a tracker like my fitness pal or fitday... I'd do that for a few weeks. Enter all your food and drink and movement this will be good data to bring with you to the Dr. You should go see him/her and let him know you want to lose a bit more. He can set you up with support to help you get to where you want to be (nutritionist/dietitian, therapist, support groups, etc.) and check your labs and you to see if all is well. While you wait for your appt. do that tracking online or on an App it's amazing when everything is in B&W usually the answer is there... too many carbs, not enough protein, not enough moving, water... etc. 

Best to you in getting the scale moving again! 

~Michelle "Shelly"

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

kellma699
on 5/24/14 1:43 am
VSG on 02/04/14

My Mom had rny three years ago. Initially she lost 80lbs or so. Hovered around 210 for a long time, couple of years. Anyway, recent months she put her mind to it and has re dedicated herself to losing. She is now down to 195. I think you can do it.

HW 257, SW 190.2, CW 148.8, GW 125

Most Active