Psych Eval

Jen H.
on 6/16/14 6:59 am - Davie, FL
RNY on 09/09/14

I called one of the providers on a list that my surgeon's office gave me.  She told me that she does three sessions and charges an extra fee for the report back to my surgeon.  This wasn't an appt. setter, but the actual psychologist.  Everything I have read so far and a couple of friends who have gone through this indicate that it was just one visit.

I am curious if anyone else has had this sort of experience?

Cathy W.
on 6/16/14 7:36 am

It depends on the surgeon and their policy on the psych evaluations. 

When I had surgery, I only had one psych eval.  From reading posts by OH members, it seems to vary anywhere from one up to four. 

I found my psych eval helpful because we talked in depth about my behavior pattern (snacking and grazing, food choices that I made) and the lifestyle changes I would need to make.  We also talked about the procedure that I had selected and what I would need to do in order to be successful.

I remember I had to pay an extra fee for the report.  My psych eval was two hours plus the report.  I don't remember the amount I paid though.

Jen H.
on 6/16/14 8:16 am - Davie, FL
RNY on 09/09/14

Thanks for the reply Cathy.  This isn't the surgeon's policy. She didn't even ask which surgeon.

I just didn't want to be getting suckered into more than necessary - not the help, mind you, but the insurance payments and the report fee.  It just sounded "off" to me.

Cathy W.
on 6/16/14 9:09 am

Oh wow, different story - didn't even know your surgeon?? 

Knowledge through doing your research, like what you're doing, is so important.  Good for you!!

If you haven't already, you might make this same post on the surgical message board for the procedure you've selected. 

We need to be our own advocates for our health but also for $$ too! 

Jen H.
on 6/16/14 9:34 am - Davie, FL
RNY on 09/09/14

I might do that.  Thanks!

Waiting on a response from the insurance counselor at the surgeon's office.  She has been great with info and hopefully she can give some guidance as to whether this is expected.

Thanks again, Cathy!

Laura222
on 6/16/14 11:48 am
VSG on 07/24/14

My surgeon's office gave me two different offices I could call to get my psyc eval done. I only had to do 1 appt and it turned out my psychologist actually leads the support group for my surgeon. But my surgeon's office never said anything about her doing the support group. I did to to one meeting. It seemed very good. It's just a 45 minute drive and I being pre-op I really didn't get that much out of it. I think I would've got so much more after surgery. Maybe you can call your surgeon's office and see which one they recommend. 

HW: 275  SW: 267.4 (1st day of pre-op diet)  Pre-op: -16.5lbs  M1:-17.8  M2:-11.9  M3:-12.5   M4:-16.5   M5:-10.5   M6:-5.1

ShadowWolf3
on 6/16/14 12:33 pm - OH
VSG on 03/19/15

My surgeon gave me a list also but none of them were covered under my insurance so I went to someone covered under my insurance that was covered under same hospital as surgeon. It was only one visit I seen him for and he knew my surgeon so it helped.  He also offered me the opportunity later after surgery if I have problems  to come back and see him to help work it out.

The tragedy in life doesn't lie in not reaching your goal. The tragedy lies in having no goal to reach.- Benjamin Mays

HW:450, Consult W:371, SW:353

Steffan467
on 6/16/14 3:39 pm

I did have two times going to see if I was crazy.  :)  First I went to take a test to see if they could trick me.  Well, thats what I think.  Then I went to talk to her.  Be sure you are doing this for health and for you.  Not because someone said you were fat etc.  If the doctor recommends the psychologist.  Chances are they are on your side unless you went in and said something like my husband is messing around on me, I want to keep him  So I want to lose weight.  You would probably fail.  Those are the only tips I have.  Good Luck I do think it is best for you to go to a doc that your weightloss doc referred you to.

Brenda

223/112/123  11 lbs under goal.  Normal weight.  My blog shows from the beginning of my journey  http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/steffan467/blog_page,9/
I have Lost a Whole Josh
Ilostajosh2.jpg picture by Steffan6699      \ http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/steffan467/blog_page,9/

willspear
on 6/16/14 8:49 pm
VSG on 06/23/14

The evaluation is done as part of a comprehensive center here. They run, support groups, cooking classes, nutrition classes. Pre op group classes, mindful eating seminars, social work and bariatric dietition appointments. 

know I had 2 social work and 2 dietitian appointments. 

Most Active