Is she telling the truth?

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/18/14 9:27 am

early post op - even during first 2 years - it was very easy for me to control how much and what I ate.  I had tno problem losing and lost more than I wanted.. and I had a hard time to stop my weight loss. 

year 3 and after came as a shock... suddenly I started gaining and could not stop gaining...year 2 and 3 when I discovered that not only I dump but I also get severe RH if i eat any carbs..  I gained 35 lbs..(I wanted to gain 15) ..and it took me 6 months to lose 10.. only to gain it back.. I have to be super strict to lose weight.  And to maintain without gaining. 

sweets - I still dump- but 6 years postop - I know how to cheat and eat sweets - if I wanted to.   But most times I don't want to cheat. Because I know I can put 5 lbs on in 1-2 weeks and it will take me 1-2 months to lose that.. . 

A friend of mine had RNY - she lost a lot of weight - and like me got down to size 10... now she is back to 18+ 

me? I am size 6-10... when 6 is really tight and with 10 I need a belt... 

Look into the sleeve.   VSG - may allow you to eat some foods you like - taste foods as you cook for your family.  

Most  of People who are able to maintain after RNY - really watch their diet and stay active. I do need to limit my carb to maintain.

regain after RNY: 

Do we fail the surgery or is the surgery failing us? 
August 30, 2011 8:46 am
Published

New Data on Weight Gain Following Bariatric Surgery

Gastric bypass surgery has long been considered the gold standard for weight loss. However, recent studies have revealed that this particular operation can lead to potential weight gain years later. Lenox Hill Hospital’s Chief of Bariatric Surgery, Mitchell Roslin, MD, was the principal investigator of the Restore Trial – a national ten center study investigating whether an endoscopic suturing procedure to reduce the size of the opening between the gastric pouch of the bypass and the intestine could be used to control weight gain in patients following gastric bypass surgery. The concept for the trial originated when Dr. Roslin noticed a pattern of weight gain with a significant number of his patients, years following gastric bypass surgery. While many patients could still eat less than before the surgery and become full faster, they would rapidly become hungry and feel light headed, especially after consuming simple carbohydrates, which stimulate insulin production.

The results of the Restore Trial, which were published in January 2011, did not confirm the original hypothesis – there was no statistical advantage for those treated with suturing. However, they revealed something even more important. The data gathered during the trial and the subsequent glucose tolerance testing verified that patients who underwent gastric bypass surgery and regained weight were highly likely to have reactive hypoglycemia, a condition in which blood glucose drops below the normal level, one to two hours after ingesting a meal high in carbs. Dr. Roslin and his colleagues theorized that the rapid rise in blood sugar – followed by a swift exaggerated plunge – was caused by the absence of the pyloric valve, a heavy ring of muscle that regulates the rate at which food is released from the stomach into the small intestine. The removal of the pyloric valve during gastric bypass surgery causes changes in glucose regulation that lead to inter-meal hunger, impulse-snacking, and consequent weight regain.

Dr. Roslin and his team decided to investigate whether two other bariatric procedures that preserve the pyloric valve – sleeve gastrectomy and duodenal switch – would lead to better glucose regulation, thus suppressing weight regain. The preliminary data of this current study shows that all three operations initially reduce fasting insulin and glucose. However, when sugar and simple carbs are consumed, gastric bypass patients have a 20-fold increase in insulin production at six months, compared to a 4-fold increase in patients who have undergone either a sleeve gastrectomy or a duodenal switch procedure. The dramatic rise in insulin in gastric bypass patients causes a rapid drop in glucose, promoting hunger and leading to increased food consumption.

“Based on these results, I believe that bariatric procedures that preserve the pyloric valve lead to better physiologic glucose regulation and ultimately more successful long-term maintenance of weight-loss,” said Dr. Roslin.

http://www.lenoxhillhospital.org/press_releases.aspx?id=2106

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Paulinev
on 6/18/14 9:04 am

Hi! I had the same concerns before my gastric bypass. There are things I would love to eat. Like ice cream junk food.  The thing is your body can't tolerate the stuff anymore.  I used to think I was starving the first 2 months after surgery, but it wasn't physical.  It is in your hard and slowly but surely if you follow what the nutritionist and doctor s say, it all works out. I was not morbidly obese, my bmi was 34, but I qualified for the surgery ( I weighed 185 lbs at surgery) I also took had uncontrolled diabetes,high blood pressure high cholesterol etc.etc.

i was takina handful of pills every day and feeling like crap. I had the surgery 3 months ago and have lost 36 pounds  I am now starting to feel great. I left the hospital after 4 days with no diabetes or high blood pressure. It's not a quick fix. It is a whole new way of living not always easy but we'll worth the changes (good or bad ) I am 52 years old with two twenty something daughters and a husband I couldn't keep up with, also I lost my father because of his uncontrolled diabetes, and knw if I didn't do something this drastic I would have the same outcome as his 77 years old way to young for a man who was active and wanted to be with his grandchildren for a very long time my kids were 11 and 7 when he died, and still after 14 years they miss him terribly he was their world as well as them to him.  Sorry for going on and on, you will be giving up a lot, but gaining so much more! You will get to eat good food, just not a lot of it and you get used to it. You can have things on special occasions. It does get better and is so worth it for your health and happiness!

sorry I rambled on, but I hope this helped a little. Good luck

Professor Sonja!!!!
on 6/18/14 11:08 am - Miami, FL
RNY on 08/15/12

Many people tolerate sweets just fine after WLS.  This isn't a get out of jail free card.  You still have to learn self control.

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want an invite? PM me here.

parkmanmom
on 6/18/14 9:37 am - OH

Thank you all very much. I'm feeling much better about the surgery. I will do more research and start controlling what I eat now. I don't want to give up just because it's hard, that's what I've done my whole life. But I want to know what to expect. I've lost and gained all my life and am so ready for a change. I'm so embarrassed and can't keep up with my boys and husband. I just want to be healthier and be able do normal things. Thank you.

csbsteph
on 6/18/14 9:41 am - AL
VSG on 03/13/14

Hi, Mind you I'm new but my experiences with VSG thus far have been amazing.  I know cravings for sweets will probably come back eventually but my main focus is getting in enough protein with each meal & then if lucky enough a few veggies; I type this because after eating my protein first I am full an can only eat a few spoon fulls of veggies.  The way it was explained to me by my Doc is that the VSG surgery also thankfully affects some hormone that helps us not crave sweets hope some VETS will continue to chime in as I can't really explain this but it is working.  Will this work later on for me? I don't know but I've been faced with sweets several times & even recently baked cakes for Father's day & didn't really want any of them.  Your taste buds change & it's different for everyone but I drank a little bit of a smoothie the other day and found it was too sweet.  My treats now are my delicious protein shakes; yes you can find some good ones & it's a trial, error & personal taste thing.  My weight was like yours to start 282 & I too have to cook differently for my very tall & skinny husband & my fit teenager neither of them have a weight problem.  I've been out to eat & you can still go & enjoy time with people but just make better healthier food choices.  I don't view my food restrictions as stuff I can't have or a diet I just look at it as finally eating healthier.  I also am feeling better than I have in years.  In the long run the decision is up to you, My Doc suggested VSG as being the best choice for me & so far it has been.  I'm down from 282 to 228 just since March 13th & still losing.  Yes I have to exercise & eat better healthier foods but without the tool of my sleeve I know I would not be having this success; I've tried all my life & the only way I was able to lose in the past was starvation; you don't starve with VSG you still eat just not as much, I'm actually eating more throughout the day instead of just one big unhealthy meal like before my surgery.  Best of luck & health with whatever choice you make. Blessings, Stephanie

With God ALL things are possible! VSG 3/13/14 Dr. John Mathews

SuzinDallas
on 6/18/14 10:45 am

I'm still counting my time since surgery in weeks but I kind of agree with her.

I've had lots of very mild cravings. More thoughts like "Gee a toasted bagel would be just lovely." or "Chocolate would be nice!"  but I'm either just plain not hungry or still full from my actual meal that it's gone almost as soon as it enters my head.

I know it won't last. I used to have a pretty sweet sweet-tooth so I know it will be back-I think the trick might be to learn some good habits to help me cope once they do come back.

Revision from Lap-Band to RNY May 2014.  

Revision Consultation: 326   Day of Surgery: 310   Current: 250   Goal: 150

Steffan467
on 6/19/14 12:12 am

I was a dumper.  (Thankfully)  So when I ate sweets or carbs I dumped.  Dumping is like the worse flue in the world.  Last about an hour.  A couple of times of that and nope I didn't crave chocolate or any of the bad things.  Having said that, I don't know if I didn't crave it because of that or because I just didn't crave it.  If you stick to eating protein first.  Lots of water then you are not going to have room to crave that stuff.  Now years later.  I do eat chocolate, in moderations.  Every now and again.  I only crave it if it is around.  I was 44 when I had my surgery and regret I didn't have it years earlier when I was yo yo  dieting.  My thought is if you haven't lost it by now you won't.   I had the rny where my stomach was made smaller.  I can tell you that I was not hungry all the time.  I did eat smaller portions 6 times a day and drank a lot of water.  I don't know anything about the sleeve so won't go there.  I am wondering if the people that are hungry all the time could of had the ds.  I know with that you can eat and eat and eat.  I have my own personal thoughts on that one and will keep it to myself.  I would look at some peoples blog that are a way out and reach their goal.  I would not change having had the procedure at all.  I eat at gatherings.  I just eat smaller amounts and slower and finish when everyone else does.  It works out great.  There are still things I dump on and stay away from.  Small price to pay.  It is up to you.  If you feel healthy and good at your weight then don't have the surgery, if you have a good doctor, would enjoy being smaller have the surgery.  I personally would do it again in a heartbeat.  Nothing taste as good as skinney feels.  Good luck.  Please keep us posted.

Brenda

223/112/123  11 lbs under goal.  Normal weight.  My blog shows from the beginning of my journey  http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/steffan467/blog_page,9/
I have Lost a Whole Josh
Ilostajosh2.jpg picture by Steffan6699      \ http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/steffan467/blog_page,9/

jastypes
on 6/19/14 1:38 am - Croydon, PA

My personal take on cravings is this.  After surgery, we are told not to consume things with more than X grams of added sugar -- for me that was 2 grams.  When I listened, I had no cravings for sweet things.  The cravings returned when I went against that advice and put sugar back into my system.  I am now 11 months sugar free again, and I do not crave sugar.  I also have issues with corn chips and some sugar-free desserts.  The surgery didn't change my cravings, but I have learned what sets me off personally, and when I avoid those things -- sugar, alcohol, corn chips, sugar-free cakes/cookies -- then I have no cravings.  I work the 12-step program of Overeaters Anonymous, which really helps with the head stuff.  Also, my hunger never returned.  (I am 7 years out)  I know that is not the case for everyone, but it is definitely a possibility.  You can try diet and exercise, keeping in mind that WLS is always an option.  Yes, it is a tool, but I say it is still the strongest tool in my toolbox these days when it comes to compulsive overeating.  P.S.  I am also Italian and family functions have become more about family and less about food for me in the past 7 years.   

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

scarlett921
on 6/19/14 2:35 am, edited 6/19/14 2:36 am

Boy, do I know what you're going through!.  I about to turn 43 myself.  I did have the full bypass last October.  If she says she never had any cravings after surgery, she is probably lying.  I started at 216, was 209 on surgery day and am down to 148.  My weight loss has been slow or non existent for the past 2 or 3 months.  But it is my fault.  I can walk away from sweets, but I can also have a little if I want.  Feeling like you can really helps with not being miserable.  I've never had dumping and haven't really had problems with eating anything.  i don't eat much bread, but that' a good thing, as that was where my cravings went to.  Part of my slow down has been the stomach stretching a little, or drinking while eating.  Just in the past few days have I learned why that is so bad.  It just slide the food right through and you can keep eating and eating! Oh, almost forgot.  i am also struggling with the family thing.  I'm having a hard time cooking meals since I don't really need to eat much.  But if you already liek cooking and stuff, that shouldn't be a problem.  I just use a small plate!

Final thoughts.  I debated a long time about surgery.  it was probably recommended to me about 10 yrs ago.  I kept thinking I could do it on my own.  I wasted 10 years of my life!  Being miserable, not feeling good, beating myself up for not being able to do it.  Just getting rid of all that negativity was worth it.  I'm not perfect. No one is.  I have so much more energy (so darn cliche, but true), I'm not on BP meds and I'm not freaked out about getting diabetes.  I go to the gym, I take fun excercise classes and I want to do more.  The weight held me back from so much.  More than I realized.  The nurse is right in that digging into a piece of double chocolate cake is not as tempting as it was.  A little is ok, but too much will make you sick.  But it is nothing compared to the world that has opened up for me. I do crave foods.  That is still a mind game.  It just isn't as bad. I'll repeat - it is STILL a mind game.  But it won't be as hard to struggle with as it is for you now. 

Ladytazz
on 6/19/14 3:51 am, edited 6/19/14 3:51 am

Your milage may vary is very true with WLS, no matter what surgery you had and how much you want to lose.

I've had 2 WLS and my experience has been different with both because my way of eating has been different with both.

With WLS #1 I had a lot of malabsorption so I assumed I could eat what I wanted and only maintain about 1/2 the calories.  True or not, if you are eating 5,000 more or less daily then half of that will cause you to gain, which I did.  A lot.  I craved sweets, candy, cake, etc and I ate them.  As much as I wanted.  And I craved them more and gained more.

With WLS #2  I figured out some things that were told to me but I only wanted to hear what I wanted to hear.

WLS is a tool to help us eat in a healthy way to maintain and healthy weight, for us.  It does not choose the food and put it in our mouth.  Like having a tool chest full of the best tools doesn't build a thing if you don't take them out and use them for what they are meant for.

I had to go through a lot of pain to finally get it.

I am almost 4 years out and I can honestly say I don't get cravings.  I believe it is because I totally avoid those things I used to crave before.  I am not a moderation type of person.  I proved that to myself time and time again and there is no reason to think that just because my insides have been messed with I could suddenly be able to eat those things in moderation.  I believed that the first time and I was wrong.

Saying that, it doesn't mean I don't eat sweets or dessert type things, I just make them differently without things that cause me to crave them.  I eat sugar free candy, gluten free bread products and other things that I have been able to tolerate and not develop cravings for.  I have sugar free creamer in my coffee, sugar free protein ice cream that I make myself and other things.

Please don't tell me that artificial sweetners are bad for you.  If you don't choose to eat them then fine.  I grew up on saccharine and Equal and I am still here to talk about it.  I choose to that the risk.  I don't eat it by the shovel full any more but I have it when I want and I don't worry about it.

I can say that most of the time I don't experience hunger and cravings but I can't say I never do.  I can say they are different then before WLS and easier to deal with then before I had a tool.  Before hunger was an emergency that needed to be stopped immediately.  Fear of being hungry had me eating all the time.  I would stop off at a drive thru on the way home from work to get a combo meal to hold me over until dinner time.  An hour later.

Now if a meal is delayed for some reason it's no big deal.  If I do get hungry a piece of cheese takes care of it for a while.

My first year I spent a lot of time experimenting with making different things in a healthier way.  Blogs like Eggface and Bariatric Foodie were my savior, helping me learn how to eat in a way that was both satisfying and good for me.  Cravings were solved with protein shakes and ice cream.

I have somehow managed to be able to avoid sugar and gluten for nearly 4 years now.  The result of that is that I have been able to maintain a normal weight for over 3 years now.  I am not lying when I tell you that I have never, in my entire life, been the same size or weight for even one year.  I don't feel deprived one bit.  Weddings, birthday parties, holidays, work potlucks, you name it, have all come and gone and I have never once felt sorry for myself that I couldn't eat what everyone else was eating.  It has been a non issue up until now.  Whether it will stay that way is anybodies guess.  All I can do is take it one day at a time.  And keep doing what I have been doing until or unless it doesn't work for me anymore, at which point I will figure out what to do next.

WLS has helped me a great deal to be able to do something I could never do without it.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Most Active