Is she telling the truth?

Valerie G.
on 6/19/14 6:13 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I can say that I truly wasn't hungry for a good 6 months after my duodenal switch.  It was 9 months before I really enjoyed anything, but nearly 9 years later, I enjoy food like I always did.  Cooking for family isn't a big deal, especially with my DS.  Everyone gets meat and veggies, and occasionally, some rice and rarely pasta.  They didn't mind too much, and would get the pasta when we ate out.  I can enjoy all of the fattening cheeses and sauces with my DS.  I just add them on to meat and veggies.  Alfredo sauce goes good on everything.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

carlacc
on 6/19/14 12:07 pm - Walkerton, IN

hi, I am 5 1/2  years out after RNY, and,still down 135 lbs, for the first 4 years, I didn't even want sweets, I do have them occasionally now, I can and do eat everything. just less of it. i cant think of anything I can't eat. I just have to limit the amount.I can eat cake, cookies, icecream, candy , bread,meat, all of it. I limit it because, I will never allow myself to be big again. the things you may have to do without are nothing compared to what you gain. I can even run, I am 60 years old, at 50 and 165, I couldnt run, . This is a very personal decision, but, you will get everything back.

Carlacc ^..^

Live Today, and Dream of Tomorrow

carlacc
on 6/19/14 12:51 pm - Walkerton, IN

carlacc again;that should have said at 50 and 265 I couldn't run, not 165. 

carlacc
on 6/19/14 12:55 pm - Walkerton, IN

oops!  that should say 265 not 165. sorry.Carlacc

Janis2009
on 6/23/14 9:50 am - Placerville, CA

Carlacc, your story sounds so much like mine, question for you, since you said like me you eat what you want you just limit it (I literally can only eat still 1/2 hamburger for a meal, or 3 bites of meat, 2 of veggies and a bite of starch and I'm stuffed) but what I'm wondering is do you "dump"? I got down to 132, but my body keeps settling in the 140s if I don't stop any carbs at all, I feel great in the 140 range so not a biggy, but I know friends who've had the RNY like me and they NEVER dump, ever. I don't vomit, I just get the shakes, very nauseas and have to sleep for at least an hour until It passes. Thanks for your post, makes me feel "not alone" at my age!

hollykim
on 6/19/14 1:42 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

at 4.5 years out,I can count the number of times I have been hungry on one hand. I eat by the clock or I would starve. 

That said,yes,I do have cravings,every day. Also known as head hunger. I think a brownie sounds good ,etc. but hungry? No. It becomes,at some point, mind over matter. 

Having the success of weight loss helps many to avoid the head hunger better. Some who are totally addicted to sugar,and do do the mental work,have more trouble being successful.GL

Janis2009
on 6/23/14 8:12 am - Placerville, CA

We can only tell you what "we" experience as individuals. Keeping this in mind here's my take on it. I had RNY in January 2009, I honestly had absolutely no desire for 2 years for anything sweet with the exception of fruit. I was a TOTAL choco-holic for the 52 years prior to my surgery. Here's why I felt I had no cravings, I kept telling myself "nothing tastes as GREAT as THIS feels". Seriously. Losing the weigh****ching it fall off the way it did, feeling full on so little felt so great that I had no desire for junk food. Now, that said, after 4 years I began to eat a little bit of this or that, a cookie here, a spoonful of ice cream there. I have found that if I do eat sweets, if I eat more than a bite or two I get sick, I'm sure you've heard of the "dumping syndrome" that those who have RnY surgery get. Well, you do, and it's very real and it's so not worth eating whatever you eat to make you feel that way! I have kept 110 lbs off for over 5 years now and couldn't be happier. Sure I eat a bit of whatever I want, but that's what it is "a bit". Not a whole plate of pasta like my mind would sometimes like to do, I eat a couple of forks full and I am still full, or I eat two small cookies and the cravings are gone and I'm satisfied and no harm done. If you keep your pouch small by NEVER overfilling it, learn to listen to your body in the beginning, you will lose, you will be satisfied and the words I always repeat to myself that "Nothing tastes as great as this feels" will give you all the satisfaction you could want. I wish you luck, if you choose surgery, you will join the many of us who wouldn't go back for anything.

nfrost
on 6/24/14 1:34 am - WY

I had the RNY back Jan 2011, I'm very happy I had this done as I was a walking time bomb to death with my health. I decided on the RNY for various reasons. Anyway, I do after 3 years get cravings however I find I can control them much easier than ever before. I lost all my weight and maybe too much as friends and family felt I looked too thin (they never seen me thin before). I was told by my doctor my weight was good at my 18 month check up and not to loose anymore, he said I would gain 10lbs when I got to my two year mark. I can say I have gained that 10 lbs but also have lost 5 of the 10 because of being afraid to fall into bad habits. You will know what you have done to gain the weight but I can admit, I find I have more control to stop what I did and get on track so much easier than ever in my whole life of weight problems. I never had the signal to stop eating before. I never felt full but now I know how much is too much and I don't pu**** and stay satisfied. Most of the problem with cravings is that you haven't eaten enough protein. To say you never get cravings or never have desires for food would be setting oneself up for disappointment. What I can tell you is you look at food differently after surgery. Some food you liked before may not sound or smell especially good to you. Ice cream is one for me that I can do without and say no to which wasn't the case before surgery (I could eat the whole carton in one sitting before). Fried chicken is another food that just doesn't grab me like it use to, smells ok but doesn't make me want it and if I do have any, I can only eat one thigh after taking all the skin off because I can't stomach the grease. You won't go wrong in your decision to have surgery, it takes the mind set that you are ready for it and want to change your life to be healthy and happy. I have been told how much happier I seem along with looking healthy. My only regret was taking so long to make my decision to have the surgery. Other than that, I can honestly say I finally have control of my life with food and it feels wonderful! I am 56 and looking and feeling younger by the years! I hope this was of help of my experience since my RNY. I live by the rule of never say never. But believe that you can face obstacles and concur them!

Frantom
on 6/24/14 7:20 am

I had the sleeve 3 years ago - I totally remember that the first 6-9 months my chocolate craving went away!  My taste buds changed (as I found out happened to a lot of people) so that everything tasted too salty, too rich, too bland, etc. etc.  I stopped cooking for friends for a while and just did baking (I'm single - no children) because it was difficult to season food.  I did not stop cooking/baking for friends totally because that has always been my hobby and stress reliever but I modified some of the food.

I was not hungry (had no actually hunger pains****il ...I would say some time after about 9-10 months.

Then I would actually get hungry and some of the cravings returned.

Now push has come to shove and I need to let my sleeve help me keep the weight off because as I said, I do get hungry and I do want the "slider" foods.

But - I wouldn't have not had the surgery for ANYTHING - I can walk up stairs, I can sit in a seat on an airplane without the "extender", I don't have to check in the restroom to see if the handicapped stall is open because that's the only one I could fit in!

I have lots of new and different clothes (the first set I bought at second hand stores).

Yes, you have to force yourself to eat in the beginning, yes, it's not as easy as you think - but IT'S WORTH IT.

My 2 cents worth: GO SLEEVE!!!!!

gram247
on 6/24/14 1:25 pm

I had the vertical gastric sleeve surgery in Oct 2011. Initially I had no appetite for anything and had to force myself to est 3 meals. I have a few food issues, lactose intolerance is one, but I had it before surgery, and a small hiatal hernia. 

Through trial and error you will figure out what you can or can't eat. Some foods do not sit well & I found that sipping hot helps relax the esophagus so I can finish a meal. Appetizer portions are usually enough and I can indulge in a dessert or part of a sweet if I so desire. Also, there is always room for chocolate, but not a lot.

in short, I can eat a healthy balanced meal whi*****ludes my favorites but just less of them. Thus far I have lost 150 pounds. 

Good luck in your decision. Work with your surgeon to choose what is right for you. The forums here are helpful as well.

Most Active