Is there any benefit from going to rny from sleeve?

jillbeme
on 7/26/14 3:27 am
Revision on 07/29/14

I have been reading old posts from people who went from sleeve to rny.  I have acid reflux I understand that is one reason but I want to lose weight also.  I didn't have much luck with the sleeve but my support system has changed and I have changed.  IM GOING TO SUCCEED!  People keep saying you won't or you lose very slowly.  Is it worth the surgery?

Jill     

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 7/26/14 3:55 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

You should probably post this on the rny forum to get more replies. I have the sleeve and had acid reflux b4 the surgery but my case was very mild & has more likely been resolved cuz I had a hiatial hernia that was repaired during surgery.

I lose weight slowly, or at least it seems slow to me lol, but I'm ok with that, & I think I'm more likely to keep it off when I reach maintenance, which is kinda the point of surgery. So what if you lose slowly?, it's not a race, it probably has taken years to get to your weight, & having a few more months to take it off & keep it off is probably a good thing.

Just research the rny b4 you get it, as you probably know you'll have malabsorbtion of nutrients & calories, but the calorie part is only for awhile, then you really have to work at keeping the weight off, & you have to keep up with the vitamins for life. Really look at why the sleeve isn't working for you b4 you decide which surgery you want, heard the DS is really good too, also goes the malabsorption route & Good luck in whatever you choose!

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Hislady
on 7/26/14 4:15 am - Vancouver, WA

You need to know why you have reflux to make that decision. If it is a hernia it can be repaired, if it is from h pylori, or an ulcer that can be treated. Once you know that then you can make an informed choice.

MsBatt
on 7/26/14 6:48 am

Well, the RNY is the go-to surgery for treating GERD, and it will give you some temporary malabsorption of calories. How bad is your GERD?

jillbeme
on 7/26/14 11:46 am
Revision on 07/29/14

The Gerd is pretty bad i take Nexium twice a day and also take tums through out.  I bought an adjustable bed so i can sleep at a tilt and still have coughing spells.   

Jill     

Bonnie250
on 7/27/14 10:37 am
RNY on 08/25/14

if your GERD is that BAD and it sound pretty bad, i would have the RNY! I have mild reflux and i am having the RNY in AUGUST. Cant wait for my surgery.

Bonnie

MsBatt
on 7/28/14 4:40 am

Is there any chance you have a haital hernia? If so, getting that fixed *should* resolve the GERD.

EAH
on 7/27/14 6:45 am, edited 7/27/14 6:45 am - CA

+1 to what Ms. Batt said.

White Dove
on 7/26/14 11:42 am - Warren, OH

Not absorbing all of the calories that you eat is one of the main benefits.  That does slow down after a few years.  For me it never completely ended, but after two years I did need to work at keep my weight under control.  If I had it to do over, I would still want RNY.  I don't think I would have done as well with the sleeve.  That initial malabsorption made it really easy to lose weight and get to my goal.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active