Normal eating?

MrsD68
on 8/2/14 1:32 am

So.. I have been off and on reading what "everyone else" is eating. Seems like most folks are getting a pretty well rounded diet. I cannot seem to "get there". I rely ALOT on protein based foods.. because I don't like the protein shakes, the bars are very high in calories.. and I just never was a "foodie" despite the fact I was/am overweight. I have looked at "the world according to eggface" and multiple other sites for food suggestions. It just boils down to seeming like alot of food to me. I can manage a cheese stick with a yogurt. or MAYBE a few bites of veggie if I eat meat.. but basically not really eating a ton volume wise. I dont feel deprived.. I just DONT eat alot. I have been losing slowly. I am happy with where I am. I DONT eat bread rice or pasta.. I just dont eat it. But wondering if any one else is like this?? Or am I just the weird one? My friend tells me she "would die" if she only ate as much as I do. but I learn to be choosey about what I eat, knowing I have a "smaller pouch", so i just eat what I realllyy want.. just wondering.

CindyLSC
on 8/2/14 1:38 am

Although I'm not happy that you are having trouble eating I'm really glad to see someone else posting that they're having difficulty with food. I'm in a similar situation except for I've tried so many different options I typically take one or two bites and get nauseated and really can't force myself to even try again for hours. I have tried to sort of force myself to do better and I do wind up throwing up. My intake is poor and I haven't been able to do the protein drinks either. The best thing I know I have going for me is that I am able to drink enough water. A friend of mine who had the same surgery a few years ago tells me to just hang in there it will get better so that's what I'm relying on. Even with all the trouble I'm so thankful for having had the opportunity to have this operation and I know things will get better in time. 

Kate -True Brit
on 8/2/14 1:55 am - UK

Which surgery have you had. We all eat very differently! I eat a totally normal diet with my band, just very small amounts. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

jenorama
on 8/2/14 2:40 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

How far out from surgery are you?  I'm 10 months out and eating is still kind of weird for me. I still focus on protein and don't do rice, bread or pasta and I don't get in much fruit or veg these days. I'm fine with that as I stay up on my vitamins and I've been feeling really good. If you're feeling good, continue to focus on protein and consult with your nutritionist on what you should be doing for veg. Don't force yourself or cheat yourself out of protein, though! :D

Jen

MrsD68
on 8/2/14 3:14 am

My surgery was April 15th, so not TOO far out.. I just see the "menus" people post, and think my land.. I cannot eat ALL that!! LOL I take ALL my vitamins, including Biotin for hair,skin and nails.. I drink my water.. I have to "number" my bottles, so I know how many more I have to go.. some days it is easier than others. I just got thru a few weeks of the post op "stalls".. THAT sucked... but I did not "gain" anything.. just wasn't losing for a bout a week or so, but back on track again. I think my body is just figuring this all out. It is not upsetting to me at all. I feel FABULOUS... :) People always ask me if I feel hungry, or deprived.. I don't.. I just am VERY choosey about what I WANT to eat.. I am NOT a huge "fish fan".. but I have learned to like SOME... I dont like hamburger.. after all that chewing.. it is all grisle. I prefer turkey or ground chicken. If I eat enough meat.. I am too full for vegetables. I have tried angel hair pasta, I can eat about 2 oz with turkey and sauce for spaghetti... I don't mind theeating part. I am thankful I am NOT a foodie.. or I would probably be depressed about the lack of food choices, due to small pouch size. But I am fine.. I was always the girl that was "too busy" to eat, then was starving, and over ate or late night snacked... so this is working well for me right now. I make better choices, because I know I need my Protein.. I just eat ALOT of greek yogurt, and drink skim milk.. and eat meat.. kinda like an aitkins without all the veggies right now.

poet_kelly
on 8/2/14 3:31 am - OH

So you are less than four months out.  I wouldn't expect you to be eating much volume wise right now.  Are you eating according to your surgeon's plan?  My plan was something like half a cup of food at a time at that point.

I had a lot of nausea the first few months and I recall trying some toast at about three months out because I thought that might help settle my stomach (and it did).  I could eat half a slice of wheat toast.  I felt very full eating a six ounce container of yogurt.

Are the menus you're talking about from people that are further out?  At nearly six years out, I eat a lot more now than I did at less than four months out!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Kate -True Brit
on 8/2/14 3:53 am - UK
On August 2, 2014 at 10:14 AM Pacific Time, MrsD68 wrote:

My surgery was April 15th, so not TOO far out.. I just see the "menus" people post, and think my land.. I cannot eat ALL that!! LOL I take ALL my vitamins, including Biotin for hair,skin and nails.. I drink my water.. I have to "number" my bottles, so I know how many more I have to go.. some days it is easier than others. I just got thru a few weeks of the post op "stalls".. THAT sucked... but I did not "gain" anything.. just wasn't losing for a bout a week or so, but back on track again. I think my body is just figuring this all out. It is not upsetting to me at all. I feel FABULOUS... :) People always ask me if I feel hungry, or deprived.. I don't.. I just am VERY choosey about what I WANT to eat.. I am NOT a huge "fish fan".. but I have learned to like SOME... I dont like hamburger.. after all that chewing.. it is all grisle. I prefer turkey or ground chicken. If I eat enough meat.. I am too full for vegetables. I have tried angel hair pasta, I can eat about 2 oz with turkey and sauce for spaghetti... I don't mind theeating part. I am thankful I am NOT a foodie.. or I would probably be depressed about the lack of food choices, due to small pouch size. But I am fine.. I was always the girl that was "too busy" to eat, then was starving, and over ate or late night snacked... so this is working well for me right now. I make better choices, because I know I need my Protein.. I just eat ALOT of greek yogurt, and drink skim milk.. and eat meat.. kinda like an aitkins without all the veggies right now.

Am I missing it? Are you bypassed? Sleeved? Banded? DS? I think you are probably bypassed but it really does help people answer if we know.

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Cherokeesage
on 8/3/14 10:48 pm
RNY on 02/24/12

I ate very little the first year as I had no appetite so I concentrated on protein, water and vitamins.   I ate two meals a day as my pouch didn't wake up till noon.  I actually never ate breakfast growing up or pre op.  Now at 30 months post op - I am eating breakfast for the first time in my life as I wake up and want to eat.    I have to be conscious that I eat protein first now that I can eat more.   I usually can't eat anything at a setting other than 4 to 6 ounces of meat.  If I eat a bite or two of vegetables or bread then I can't get more than 3 ounces of meat with the meal.  Protein bars tear me up so I never eat them.   I eat meat and a couple hours later will have some fruit and vegetables.  I have other digestive issues so I can't consume a lot of high fiber foods such as salads.  I don't make a habit of eating pasta or rice but once in awhile I will eat a couple bites of rice if it is in a casserole type dish.  I can eat a couple bites of low glycemic pasta but more than a small amount bothers my stomach.  My spaghetti is mostly meat sauce.  I will throw up any Asian style noodles.   I don't have a problem with bread but I do limit breads.    I can make a meal out of 4 chicken nuggets or a small chicken breast or  1 taco or the insides from 2 tacos, 1 or 2 slices of a thin crust veggie with beef pizza, a child's size cheeseburger minus one bun (I usually eat  a 4 oz low fat cheeseburger in a lettuce wrap).  I have a 28 gram protein drink if I don't eat solid protein in the form of egg, yogurt or meat and cheese for breakfast.  Early out I had the feeling of fullness in my pouch after one bite of solid food.  Now, I start burping and my nose runs signaling that I am full after 4 to 6 ounces of solid food.  I seldom throw up but will if I take that one bite more so have learned not to.   

Banded  Oct 2008:  290       
RNY Feb 2012:        245    
Dr's set goal:            170 reached Oct 11, 2012
My goal:                     160  reached Dec 1, 2012
Today :                       145-150

I am half the person I was in 2008.

MyLady Heidi
on 8/4/14 11:21 am

At 9+ years out to maintain my weight at 130 @5'5 I eat 8000 calories per week, with only walking as exercise.  At the point you are at I was eating maybe 3500 calories a week.

Most Active