Question about the pureed food phase

bertgamble2001
on 8/7/14 12:47 am - Willits, CA

After my 3rd week post op (one week on pureed food), I will be going back to work and I will have no way to puree my food.  I have to figure something else out, and I was thinking about baby food.  Has anyone used this approach?  I think it might be a good way to know exactly what my caloric intake is.  I believe that the pureed phase only lasts 2 weeks, so I would only be on baby food for 1 week, so the weight would not be prohibitive.

I should probably mention that when I say going back to work, it is in a compound in Angola where all food is supplied by the cafateria, and it is not even close to pureed.

Bette B.
on 8/7/14 1:30 am

Baby food is usually allowed in the puree stage, but be warned that it's pretty damned gross. You are much better off taking foods you actually like and pureeing them. I took things like shrimp, fish and chicken, baked or broiled them withe spices, and pureed with a little chicken broth. Same with veggies. With fruit I pureed them raw and added a little juice.

To me, all that tasted like actual FOOD, which baby food didn't. 

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

56sunShine14
on 8/7/14 1:47 am

Do you have access to a fridge and microwave?  if you do, you could puree at home and just heat it up at work.  But you probably already thought of that.  :)

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

jessica1371
on 8/7/14 2:04 am - Elgin, IL
VSG on 08/29/14

My NUT said watch out with baby food, high calorie and sugar and hardly NO protein... if you do, they said add protein powder to it.  I would puree at home and bring it?? basically same as bringing a jar of baby food.

STATS: 5'7" HW: 424 (Jan 2014)   SW: 391 (Aug 2014)  CW: 323 (Jan 2015)

hollykim
on 8/7/14 2:51 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

obviously your other posters didn't read your entire post,but I think of. I was you,I would explain this tomy surgeon and see if he would allow me to. Advance my diet a bit quicker and still. Be safe. Given your cir****tances, I believe he would. 

If not,I. Would mash and cut the food I got as finely as possible then. Would chew it to death before swallowing  it. 

jessica1371
on 8/7/14 3:21 am - Elgin, IL
VSG on 08/29/14

Since the OP mentioned and thought of bringing baby food to work, what would the difference of pureeing at home and bringing it in?

I for one did read the entire post! 

STATS: 5'7" HW: 424 (Jan 2014)   SW: 391 (Aug 2014)  CW: 323 (Jan 2015)

bertgamble2001
on 8/7/14 4:54 am - Willits, CA

Hi, and thank you for your reply.  The problem with bringing it from home is that home is 9000 miles away.  If I bring anything to work it has to be preserved so it does not need immediate refrigeration.  I will have to do some major food thinking because the food that we get is so carb centered, and I need to stay well away from that.  I have access to a microwave at lunch, but for the other meals it will either be cold, or carefully selected from the cafeteria.  I thought of baby food because it is easy to pack.

Maybe 20 pounds of beef jerky and a couple bags of protein powder would work. 

HLen
on 8/7/14 9:55 am
RNY on 07/11/14

Canned chicken or tuna is soft enough you can ma**** with a fork, add some light mayo and it is high in protein.  I would think that will travel well? Can you take a small food chopper/blender with you? 

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

bertgamble2001
on 8/7/14 3:07 pm - Willits, CA

That is a wonderful option.  I didn't think that would count as pureed, but if it does, problem solved.

HLen
on 8/7/14 3:50 pm
RNY on 07/11/14

I'm on puréed  snow and use it.  I do run mine thru the nutri-bullet, but I have done it without.  Just make sure if you aren't oureeing, chew chew chew. :-) 

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Most Active